Electric "tough bike"

vax

100 W
Hello again. This is my 6th build so far, and it started in Solidworks.
The idea is pretty much same as for Stealth Bikes - rugged aluminium monocock, maximum shock travel.
However, I'm using 20'' BMX wheels to lower centre of gravity and enhanche agility.
So far I have 3 components waiting - Velectris Phantom hub motor, Kelly KBS48051 controller (48V, 20A) and Marzocchi 888RV fork.
Rear shock will be from CZ motocross bike, pressure air type, it's really light and has great adjustability.
Batteries will be ThunderSky 48V 20Ah LiFePO4, which should arrive soon.
20412797d85d0b_o.jpg

20412799cbbcc4_o.jpg

2041280160980c_o.jpg

20412803275ac2_o.jpg

20412805579f57_o.jpg

Right now at solidworks looks just great, i like that bomber style. Will 48v be enough? Haha i got addicted to 72v :)

Some updates:
The battery is still on the way, latest promise is 20. of June.
The BMS has arrived, it's made here in Estonia by company called "DriveCord". It's modular, consisting of slave boards and master board and can be used in various battery systems. Actually it's also used in some electric cars and so far works great.
http://www.zev.ee/files/uploads/LiYFePO2.jpg
http://www.zev.ee/files/uploads/L2e_pic6.jpg
I'm still waitng of custom made stainless spokes from Czechs republic, it's been over a month now...
However, the front end is at my table, and I really like the look :D [already did some eyeballing sessions]
2070831107e4d9_l.jpg

vax said:
I'm still waitng of custom made stainless spokes from Czechs republic, it's been over a month now...

Did you order at Šroubárna Marek? They are not the fastest. What rims and spoke guage are you using?

miuan said:
vax said:

Did you order at Šroubárna Marek? They are not the fastest. What rims and spoke guage are you using?
Don't know exact manufacturer, I ordered them from local motorcycle shop. 2mm diameter, 128mm length and I'be using same rim as in front, that is 20'' BMX...
The guy at bicycle shop said X1 pattern is possible. I hope he's right.

Finally, spokes arrived, but someone had made a mistake, there's 30 (+3 spare) spokes instead of 36.
I lied previously, didn't remember correctly - those are 3mm stainless spokes, very nice and strong.
I had to enlarge the holes to 6mm on the rim, and to drill at angle for correct spoke placement.
The spoke pattern is 2+1, because I messed up with calculations and spokes were too long for X1
But here it is:
2083823361ce87_l.jpg

Sorry my english...

My Extra 3 spokes arrived from Taiwan... At last. However, I had a deal with local EV company for battery delivery, and it's also dragging behind. So, still no sign of batteries (they gave me BMS boards though).
Today I made new, simpler version of my frame - now it's pretty much just two 5mm aluminium sheets, that are held together by battery box, steering column and suspension axle. I really like it this time, it's so minimalistic and easy to fabricate. All the good things must be simple :D It's missing a saddle post and rear spring/shock right now, because I ran out of clear ideas. Maybe tomorrow, with large cup of strong coffee :D
21325135ab1105_l.jpg

I like this frame a lot. It looks like it could be built by far more people than a tube frame. Cad layout of the frame sides and a few :) more details looks doable. Keep at it for all us non tube welding guys.

Time has seriously passed, but project hasn't stopped. Just delayed by battery deal.
Today, however, my batteries arrived at last.
I didn't want to make any frame construction before batteries lie on my desk. So I made cardboard mockup:
22014219fa9b3e_l.jpg

22014247f30de7_l.jpg

220142517da15c_l.jpg

220142598796c3_l.jpg

220140754a234f_l.jpg

Ahhhhh!...Cardboard-Aided-Design (CAD), one of my favorite techniques! Looks great, and even if I wanted a different frame style for myself, builds like this will document clever DIY methods that are very useful to the group.

vax said:
Time has seriously passed, but project hasn't stopped. Just delayed by battery deal.
Today, however, my batteries arrived at last.

Nice to see an ebike with this kind of battery :)

News again. Aluminium pieces arrived from laser cutting and I spent two hours trying to produce exact bends. First ones were a bit overshoot, but those were fixed by rubber mallet beating.
Most of the bends are 10 degrees, except for saddle carrier, which has 8 degrees incline.
I thin I make all the files freely availavble to anyone once it's complete.
64266_623237681036406_970978163_n.jpg

The frame is going to welder next week (at least I hope), so I'm prepping all the pieces and drawings.
Bought rear suspension bearings, cheap ones, for welding - outer bushings are welded to sheet aluminium around and those pieces are centered by shaft and bearings.
22409479512171_l.jpg

224094833d9cac_l.jpg

22409485c0eb8a_l.jpg

3d triangles.JPG
I think you should triangulate in 3 dimensions. I just put a few lines there to show what im thinking.
I mainly was motivated to post this because i have had my last build frame warp and almost snap after many moderate jumps, 200 or so Kms..
its now solid as with some 3d triangles.
edit
sorry if that was a semi constructed photo...

pendragon8000 said:

I think you should triangulate in 3 dimensions. I just put a few lines there to show what im thinking.
I mainly was motivated to post this because i have had my last build frame warp and almost snap after many moderate jumps, 200 or so Kms..
its now solid as with some 3d triangles.
edit
sorry if that was a semi constructed photo...

Is the rear swing arm made from 5mm it looks like its going to twist side to side to me. Clamp a wheel or block in the rear drop outs and see if you can bend the wheel side to side.
Adam

...I have similar concerns at the 'V' in the side plates near the neck. There is potential for a lot of sideways deflection, and also potential for cracking at the corner of the 'v' - aluminium fatigue can be very serious - especially at high stress points. The neck will exhibit extremely high stress loading under normal conditions.... good luck with the build - it's looking good.

Back