Electric Mountain board- 6374-s, Tgy SS200A's on 5s HD vids!

sn0wchyld

100 kW
I started building this a while ago, inspired by 'humbleboatRC' or whoever that guy was... he built a 4wd mountainboard. I had originally intended to build on of these, but decided to start with bikes, and then forgot about these for a while. well after seeing some youtube vids recently, its rekindled my desires for one of these. just looks like way too much fun....
[youtube]kaVuh6AG3YM[/youtube]

e1.JPG

given the shape of my trucks, im basically going to bolt straigt to 'em... ive cut and shaped some small aluminium 'plugs' that I'll be threading for some 8mm bolts. this 'base plate' will have the 2 controllers mounted directly to it, so it can act as a heat sink.

e5.JPG

one motor mounted, one to go...
'
e4.JPG

e3.JPG

I'm just using normal bike sprockets. I bought a couple of 8sp clusters on sale, so I 'll be breaking them apart to use the sprockets individually. the motors are only 170kv, and at this stage with a 34:11 reduction and 5s it'll probably be a tad slow, though it should make life easy for the electronics. I'll mess around with that once its running. Thats one advantage of using bike sprockets though... I can change sprocket size in about 5 minutes!

well its runnig... but not well. unfortunately I've recieved the 4 beep version of the SS190-200 controllers from HK. This means no PWM or timing settings. as a result, the controller struggles to get me going, even with tires pumped to 40psi and on the flats. I have to get the board rolling at about 5km'h before it will get going, so if I have to do any low speed jump turns/on dirt/grass etc I'm stuffed. It looses sink all the time too, strange for a '200A' controller running a 6374 motor. The motor too gets extremely hot doing anything but going downhill... a 2-3 minute climb up a 2-3% hill and its too hot to touch. I'm putting this down to the shitty controller settings since others have managed the same with far less trouble.

I'll upload a vid shortly of one of these 'hill climbs' - you'll see how hard it is to get going, and how quickly it gets burning hot...

Moral of the story - dont buy a HK SS190-200. I've put in a claim with HK, so it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of that.

I had the same problem with my HK SS 190-200. What a rip, it's basically just a potluck whether you get a good one or not. One that you can't set timing or pwm on is almost completely useless unless it matches your motor perfectly. I sold mine on e-bay for $17.
Awesome idea on the board. I like the swappable bike cogs.

parajared said:
I had the same problem with my HK SS 190-200. What a rip, it's basically just a potluck whether you get a good one or not. One that you can't set timing or pwm on is almost completely useless unless it matches your motor perfectly. I sold mine on e-bay for $17.
Awesome idea on the board. I like the swappable bike cogs.

yep... unfortunatly I bought 4 thinking I could use one for my bike too. even worse on that! The board is rideable, just a pita whenever you stop/go uphill. The bike is almost unrideable (Well, at least under power)!

Here's some pics of the build so far...

IMG_0175.JPG
IMG_0174.JPG

a bit of a mess of wires atm, but it does the job till I finalise the setup. plenty of scope for weight reduction too, and all that alloy makes for a good heatsink for the motor!

Still waiting on those new controllers, then I'll add the 2nd motor, and eventually upgrade the trucks to trampa's and the wheels, probably to trampa's too...

parajared said:
Are you going to use a rc transmitter like the guys in the video, or do something with wires like this picture? Are you using brakes or the motor to slow yourself down?

paramotor throttle
throttle.jpg

At this stage I'm using a RC transmitter. I have a kill switch incase I get any interference, and if I ever do I'll probably switch to wired. The wireless controller is really good though, much more freedom of movement. If it works without interference for a while then I'll probably end up making a glove out of it, so you still have your hands 'free' in a crash or whatever.

No brakes, using the controllers/motors. If I enjoy the board enough I might look into going sensored and using e bike controllers so I can have regen braking. Thats a long way off though.

I am really really interested in making one of these for myself but I am trying to understand how you got the sprockets on the motor...

Did you weld? Bolt? or is there a way to get a bike sprocket perfectly on the motor?

SlyCayer said:
I am really really interested in making one of these for myself but I am trying to understand how you got the sprockets on the motor...

Did you weld? Bolt? or is there a way to get a bike sprocket perfectly on the motor?

I cut up an old bike freewheel body, then turned a piece of steel on a lathe to adapt the freewheel body to the motor shaft, and welded the cut piece e of freewheel body to that. then I drilled and taped 2 points for grub screws, including dimpling the motor axle, spaced about 120deg apart. I'll post some pics next time I have the unit in pieces. Dimpling the motor shaft is a must, without it the grub screws would never get enough purchase.

If you cant weld you can just as easily use some epoxy to glue the freewheel hub to the adapter, there's plenty out there that'd be strong enough. Bolts could work, though strength could be an issue as unless you aligned everything 100% perfect, 1 of the bolts would probably end up taking the entire load...

Thanks for the info...

My problem right now is I do not have the parts in front of me so I can judge what I can do or cannot do.

When you bought your board? Was it a mountain board? How did you manage to mount a sproket to your shaft if the bearings are on the wheels?

I will probably have to buy the board and motor and then figure out what I need to mount the sprockets to the motor and the wheel...

I will probably start with a 2wd with 2 X 2500W Turnigy motors, what do you think?

SlyCayer said:
Thanks for the info...

My problem right now is I do not have the parts in front of me so I can judge what I can do or cannot do.

When you bought your board? Was it a mountain board? How did you manage to mount a sproket to your shaft if the bearings are on the wheels?

I will probably have to buy the board and motor and then figure out what I need to mount the sprockets to the motor and the wheel...

I will probably start with a 2wd with 2 X 2500W Turnigy motors, what do you think?

Bought the board (yep a mountainboard) ages ago. if you want to add motors the easiest way is to buy one with brakes already installed... that'll make mounting sprockets much easier, you can basically just bolt the sprockets to the brake 'disk' or 'pad'. (I had to put my wheels on the lathe and make adapting plates.) It also gives you more options for mounting the motors, using the mounting points for the brake calipers. MBS or trampa trucks both have these options.

yep, the 5364 size motors will still do the job, though the 6374 motors will handle the power a little better, and the lower kv rating will mean your reduction will be easier. (3:1 rather than about 6:1)

These controllers are reportedly quite good, I've just ordered some myself along with the programming card...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=10370&aff=326255
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=10458&aff=326255

Great video, one of the best out there. Other people either have a stationary camera, or seem to be filming their feet half the time.
Looks like loads of fun. Looks more exciting than e-biking, also looks like there is more potential to eat pavement, but I imagine if you are an experienced snowboarder you could get along fine.

sn0wchyld said:
yep, the 5364 size motors will still do the job, though the 6374 motors will handle the power a little better, and the lower kv rating will mean your reduction will be easier. (3:1 rather than about 6:1)

These controllers are reportedly quite good, I've just ordered some myself along with the programming card...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=10370&aff=326255
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=10458&aff=326255

So you are saying, 1 controller, 2 motors?

SlyCayer said:
sn0wchyld said:

So you are saying, 1 controller, 2 motors?

nope, each motor will need its own controller. you will only need one transmitter/reciever though.

sn0wchyld said:
nope, each motor will need its own controller. you will only need one transmitter/reciever though.

Ok, but 150A controller for a "70A" motor? I must be mistaken? Or do you turn the throttle down to 50%~?

Can you suggest a transmitter/receiver that is the best on HK?

SlyCayer said:
sn0wchyld said:

Ok, but 150A controller for a "70A" motor? I must be mistaken? Or do you turn the throttle down to 50%~?

Can you suggest a transmitter/receiver that is the best on HK?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=10608&aff=326255

<< the transmitter I'm using... works great so far. Had a couple of crashes too, and the worst that's happened is the battery compartment popped open and spewed my AA batteries everywhere. put 'em back in and its working as new!

yes, 150A for 80A motors... the rule of thumb is...

choose the motor for the power you want
then choose the controller with more than enough power for that motor
then choose your batteries with more than enough power for that controller
then choose your wires/connectors with more than enough thickness to handle all of that!

that, and motors are far more robust than either controllers or batteries. plus, they're far easier to repair if you do happen to overheat and kill one. You cant repair killed batteries, and repairing controllers is near impossible for the RC type ones. Rewinding a motor, on the other hand, is relatively easy.

That said, I'll probably set the controller up with 'soft' or 'medium' start to lower the initial input amps (which is good for both the controller and the motor). Also makes it less likely to throw you off the board! even now, with a single motor and a poorly matched controller, there's enough kick at startup to throw you off if you're not ready for it!

sn0wchyld said:
If I enjoy the board enough I might look into going sensored and using e bike controllers so I can have regen braking. Thats a long way off though.

sn0wchyld, cool build!

hey, i am still learning the RC stuff,
so no RC esc offers regen braking ??

btw, add u to my list...
http://wackyboards.blogspot.com/2010/02/electric-mountainboard.html

sk8norcal said:
sn0wchyld said:
If I enjoy the board enough I might look into going sensored and using e bike controllers so I can have regen braking. Thats a long way off though.

sn0wchyld, cool build!

hey, i am still learning the RC stuff,
so no RC esc offers regen braking ??

btw, add u to my list...
http://wackyboards.blogspot.com/2010/02/electric-mountainboard.html

not that I know of. I'm now thinking about adding sensors, and using some 6 or 9 fett e bike controllers, tweaked for 100A output. should be achievable if I use 3077 fets. Then I can have regen braking and much smoother control :twisted: .

That's a ways of yet though. I've just got myself 2 of the HK 150A car esc's. Uni exams are coming up so I'll probably get nothing done for the next month and a half but after that... its on like donky kong.

nice site btw. some neat builds.

well it was fun while it lasted. Baring the controller issues, the board still works reasonably well on flat asphalt, and its ok on short grass, so long as you're already moving. So I've been riding it round a local park the last few days, ending up with punctures almost every time. Stupidly, I never had a repair kit with me, so I just used the board like a giant RC car, albeit with no steering! great fun though, making it fly off jumps, and even do some donuts on gravel given its only 1 wheel drive.

today though I wrote one of the tires off... the powered tire wore right through to the tube and went bang, throwing dust and bits of tire everywhere! I was worried for a second because it sounded like the batteries had shorted out or something, and the dust flying everywhere looked like the magic smoke controllers run off. No major harm done though, just a busted tire.

Fortunatly, given that the board was pretty fun even with its faults, I went and bought one of these a few days ago...
991.jpg

which will hopefully be here next week sometime. Then I'll mount up the 2nd motor (which should be easier with the brake parts I bought with it) and put the new controllers to good use!

sk8norcal said:
their magura trucks looks perfect for adapting a motor mount plate...

10022.JPG

they do, however the price is rather painful... about 4x the price of a standard truck. I got a good deal on a standard truck setup with the brake disk, bolts and spacers (to make mounting a sprocket easier, compared to fabricating all that stuff myself) and I've got a pretty easy way to mod the trucks to take 2 motors. Just have to hope now that the pictures ive based the idea off weren't too misleading.

Trampa boards, by the way, were fantastic. Answered all my questions, were knowledgeable and helpful, then when I ordered at about 11am their time... shipped by 3pm THE SAME DAY, including drilling out the deck to my custom requests. :shock: :D :D :D

Back