Farfles Emotarpedcycleracer

Show off your E-Scooter or Motorcycle creation here.

Farfles Emotarpedcycleracer

Postby Farfle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Heya, all, I finally took the bike to the DMV. It seems lately that the bike has slowly been transitioning to more of a motorcycle/moped. So, I bought a set of signals, brake lights and it's now a fully licenced moped. Here's some stats on it:

Weight: 127lbs
Battery capacity: 88V 15Ah (a bit small, will be bumping out to 20-25Ah soon)
Top speed: 81mph, It has a little more in it if I geared it up, but not a whole lot more 90mph at most.
Max hp was 24 @ about 45mph on the dyno.
Motor, Homebrew MoFo outrunner:

It's a fun ride, lots of power, very nimble and responsive. The battery range is a little lacking, I only get about 14 miles of range at "cruising around town" speed
Mostly mixed between 30 and 70mph. Anywho, Here is some pics for you all!

The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech
Badass custom mofo outrunner 205x177mm 26kv
Peak power in : 420A at 87v
Peak power out: 34 Hp and 105ft/lb

Build to last...
"It will be assaulted by the elements, It will be ravaged by time and it will be destroyed by the user. BUT, if you Stick to the little rules: K.I.S.S., Overbuild everything, and test, review, revise, repeat. It will last"

Team Farfle blog!! http://www.farfleselectrics.blogspot.com
Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Re: Farfles Emotarpedcycleracer

Postby mrzed » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:33 pm

Beatiful machine = totally jealous. I like the look of the LED headlamps.

Builds like this are driving home to me that the revolution may be happening faster than we expected or hoped for. Motos are taking us there.
mrzed
100 W
100 W

Postby farmkid4 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:36 pm

Wow! Very nice bike excellent fab work!

How much time in fab work went into this bike?
farmkid4
10 W
10 W

Postby Farfle » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:37 pm

I probably have somewhere in the range of 20-30hrs into the frame, and another 20-30hrs into the motor.
The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech

Build to last...
"It will be assaulted by the elements, It will be ravaged by time and it will be destroyed by the user. BUT, if you Stick to the little rules: K.I.S.S., Overbuild everything, and test, review, revise, repeat. It will last"

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby neptronix » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:52 pm

Videos please !!!!
ES facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/125035107565566

The all-arounder: 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Bafang BBS02 on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The wheelie machine: 20" Rear Magic Pie II on a Trek 4300 MTB
The Bus: ??? on a 'da bomb' cargo bike frame

Pro-tips for noobs: Charge RC Lipos to 4.15v, stop discharging at 3.5-3.6v | Use torque plates/arms! | Rear mounted hubs are always best
neptronix
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Trackman417 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:57 pm

How was the DMV? Did they give you any trouble?
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph
20s2p 10aH lipo battery pack
If it didn't kill you, it just built your character.
You know your bike is powerful when even you, the builder, can't control it.
Customer 00001 at our very own Bigmooses online store http://mtg-technologies.com/zencart/ Great guy, great products.
Trackman417
10 kW
10 kW

Postby Farfle » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:19 pm

The DMV was surprisingly uneventful, just expensive. Although I'm pretty sure the guy who did the VIN was stoned out of his mind. It was 70 ish for the title, 12 for the plates 11 for the VIN inspection and sticker and 44 for tags. insurance is 56 a month thru geico, single policy, no at fault's previously. The basic insurance was only 38 a month, but good insurance is a good thing.
The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech

Build to last...

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby biohazardman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:37 pm

Seems a bit high for the insurance if it's just for the bike. I pay less than $50 a month for the car liability, this includes a bit extra coverage for personal injury and property damage, and $7 included for my 600 Kawasaki. Then again I am old and probly get the senior discount? ;^) OOOPS did I ferget to say you did a great job on the bike?
Last edited by biohazardman on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build it like your life depends on it. Cuz it does.
Golden Motor Schwinn first build http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=279.0
Giant BMC build viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235&start=390
Short ride vids viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20346&start=60#p321703
biohazardman
100 kW
100 kW

Postby Farfle » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:04 pm

The insurance is pretty high because I picked up most of the coverage options. And a I am 19 and male... beats the pants off the insurance for the bronco, it's 125 a month.
The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech

Build to last...

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Trackman417 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:41 pm

Farfle wrote:The insurance is pretty high because I picked up most of the coverage options. And a I am 19 and male... beats the pants off the insurance for the bronco, it's 125 a month.

Are you one your own plan or bridged off of your parents plan? I'm a 19 year old dude as well and I'm paying more than twice as much as you. I'm also driving a less destructive car than yours, '87 camry :P .
I bet I should get insurance for the bike though. Especially since people keep asking how much the BASE cost for a basic, well built bike.
K2 Sidewinder
H4065 36 mph
20s2p 10aH lipo battery pack
If it didn't kill you, it just built your character.
You know your bike is powerful when even you, the builder, can't control it.
Customer 00001 at our very own Bigmooses online store http://mtg-technologies.com/zencart/ Great guy, great products.
Trackman417
10 kW
10 kW

Postby Tek » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:32 am

PLEASE show us more pics...more details about the build...and please some specs on the motor!!!
Thanks in advance! this is pretty much what i want to build as a city bike. :mrgreen:
Rob
Tek
1 W
1 W

Postby Jeremy Harris » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:44 am

Tek wrote:PLEASE show us more pics...more details about the build...and please some specs on the motor!!!
Thanks in advance! this is pretty much what i want to build as a city bike. :mrgreen:
Rob

The stuff on the motor is here, I think: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41576&hilit=motor (only just found this thread, so haven't read it all yet!).

Pretty impressive build and performance, Farfle, definitely the way we should be looking for the future.
Please ask questions on the forum, rather than by PM, as it helps others and you'll get a better range of answers.
Jeremy Harris
10 GW
10 GW

Postby Farfle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:19 am

Trackman417 wrote:
Farfle wrote:The insurance is pretty high because I picked up most of the coverage options. And a I am 19 and male... beats the pants off the insurance for the bronco, it's 125 a month.

Are you one your own plan or bridged off of your parents plan? I'm a 19 year old dude as well and I'm paying more than twice as much as you. I'm also driving a less destructive car than yours, '87 camry :P .
I bet I should get insurance for the bike though. Especially since people keep asking how much the BASE cost for a basic, well built bike.

The insurance for the bronco is a branch off my parents plan, so it is a lot cheaper.

Tek wrote:PLEASE show us more pics...more details about the build...and please some specs on the motor!!!
Rob

Check out the thread Jeremy linked to, (thanks). As far as specs go, I don't know, because I have not found the outer limits yet (Not due to a lack of trying though! Hit 85mph on the way home day before yesterday, poor nano tech pack, it takes a whopping 210A to go that fast, and a 15Ah pack gets sucked dry pretty fast at that rate). But heres some I do know: Weight is around 14Kg, peak output power was 24hp and the highest input power I have seen is 318A @ 84V, as of right now I think the biggest thing that is limiting this motors performance is that the magnets are having eddy loss in the mags themselves, as after the race the windings were only 86C, but the can was very hot, much hotter than expected for something with that much cooling. There is probably another 10hp in there somewhere, but being run at the current power level it's super reliable. Im filming the ride into work today so should have some video for you this afternoon.
The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech

Build to last...

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Farfle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:54 pm

Here is part one, youtube is being a brat and wont upload pt 2. Ill do it tomorrow.

The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech

Build to last...

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Farfle » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:36 am

So, there are these big "speed bumps" in the road on my commute home that are designed to keep traffic under 35 mph. Big roller speedbumps. So, hitting them at about thirty and pegging it as you hit them is pretty fun, You can get a lil bit of air. so after circling back and hitting them a few times, I start hearing this chain rub noise whenever its under load, so I shoot back to the bike shop to check it out. Heres what i found:

Yeah, the motor shell cracked completely off the sprocket mount... so the entire thing was being held in place by the bearing hitting the shaft collar on one side, and the chain rubbing on the motor mount on the other side. I managed to secure a new sidecover, and am going to place a third bearing right under the sprocket to prevent this from happening again.
The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech

Build to last...

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Farfle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:52 pm

New sidecover is in, second bearing added and not thinned to remove the ultramotor logo :evil: . thought about hitting it with bondo and painting it, but I need it rolling. maybe this winter.

The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech

Build to last...

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Kingfish » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Reading backwards a few posts, Farfle – how did you go about getting a VIN? In Washington State, only licensed dealers/manufacturers have or can dole out VINs and that license costs like $40k (I believe that's held as a bond by the State). I’m just curious how your process went, and if it could be applied here.

Congrats on your tags and progress; it's a smart-looking bike!
~KF 8)
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Current ride: 2WD Disc EBikeKit (9C 2806-equivalent) / Dual Lyen 12FET / 15S6P LiPo when commuting.
* Going to California: 2011: Trip completed 8)
* Club Member: 40-mph & 101. 10k-Club: 11,340 miles-to-date, 5850 as 2WD.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Postby nechaus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:06 pm

What a high tech custom race bike/ commuter..

I would totally love driving that to and from work, get to A and B in style!
nechaus
1 MW
1 MW

Postby Farfle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:11 pm

It was licensed as an assembled vehicle, http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/ve ... mbled.aspx

There is a trick to it though, go in at a busy time and draw a number, wait for somebody else to grab one, go and draw another number and repeat till you have three or four tickets spaced out across 6 people or so. Then observe the people up front and pick the one who looks either the most naive (or in this case the most baked :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and wait until they call one of your numbers, if someone else calls it, you remain seated :twisted: .
Last edited by Farfle on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech

Build to last...

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Chalo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:23 pm

For what it's worth and apropos not much, my last insurance policy on my Suzuki GSX1100G, liability plus uninsured motorist, was $140 per year. That bike could reach roughly 150mph and weighed about 750 pounds.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.
Chalo
1 GW
1 GW

Postby Kingfish » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:26 pm

Farfle wrote:It was licensed as an assembled vehicle, http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/ve ... mbled.aspx

There is a trick to it though, go in at a busy time and draw a number, wait for somebody else to grab one, go and draw another number and repeat till you have three or four tickets spaced out across 6 people or so. Then observe the people up front and pick the one who looks either the most naive (or in this case the most baked :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and wait until they call one of your numbers, if someone else calls it, you remain seated :twisted: .

Oh too funny! :lol: I'll do some digging around to see if there's something like that in WA-State regs. Really appreciate that - first I've heard of such a thing.

Touché, good job! KF :wink:

ADDENDUM: Dang - you are so clever! Here is the equivalent in WA-State:
WAC 308-56A-455: Assembled and homemade vehicles. Best nugget of info for the week! I truly thank you :idea: :twisted:
Last edited by Kingfish on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Current ride: 2WD Disc EBikeKit (9C 2806-equivalent) / Dual Lyen 12FET / 15S6P LiPo when commuting.
* Going to California: 2011: Trip completed 8)
* Club Member: 40-mph & 101. 10k-Club: 11,340 miles-to-date, 5850 as 2WD.

It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Postby Farfle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:46 pm

Kingfish wrote:Oh too funny! :lol: I'll do some digging around to see if there's something like that in WA-State regs. Really appreciate that - first I've heard of such a thing.

Touché, good job! KF :wink:

ADDENDUM: Dang - you are so clever! Here is the equivalent in WA-State:
WAC 308-56A-455: Assembled and homemade vehicles. Best nugget of info for the week! I truly thank you :idea: :twisted:

awesome! lol, some of the requirements are oddly specific, heres a funny:

":b) Had the body or frame cut in two and replaced with a major portion of the body or frame from another vehicle"
The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech

Build to last...

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Farfle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:50 pm

well, just fixed the range problem, More money to the overseas lipo gods :? :? I now have 2.2 kw/hr of nano-tech Lipo :shock: :shock: . 88.8v 25ah
The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech

Build to last...

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby nechaus » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:58 pm

are you sure it was worth getting the nano techs?
You could be getting more capacity for less price and still have the same discharge

I have been trying to decide myself lately which is actually the best way to go.
nechaus
1 MW
1 MW

Postby Farfle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:06 pm

nechaus wrote:are you sure it was worth getting the nano techs?
You could be getting more capacity for less price and still have the same discharge

I have been trying to decide myself lately which is actually the best way to go.

for anything like this kinda power, the nanos are the way to go IMHO. At the racetrack, we got a 15AH nanotech pack pretty hot. like luke was mildly concerned hot. with the discharge tests we have done on the 25C turnigy packs, they balk at anything over about 30A continuous, and sag a whole volt at 100A. and hauling around a 50AH pack is just too much weight. That's almost 90 pounds of battery :shock: :shock:
Last edited by Farfle on Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech

Build to last...

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Next

Return to E-Scooter and Motorcycle Photos & Videos