Schwinn Missile Custom 48v Project Complete

rbraden4

1 µW
So before I took on this Missile project I did allot of searching and I found really no Missile builds, so I kinda just winged it here to get what you see... Now I didn't take pictures throughout the whole build but I still wanted to throw the completed project up here so in the future anyone wanting to modify there Missile or like scooter can look and see what direction I went to come up with ideas...
My entire goal here was really to just open the scooter up for different motor options. I mean yes I could have bought a 1000w motor that would have bolted up to the Currie motor plate, but I would still be limited on my motor gear, and changing over to a freewheel on the wheel wouldn't have been possible because I wouldn't have been able to move the motor left to right to adjust for the new sprocket's center... So that being said here is what I did
The motor I used is 36V 1000W rated at 35A and 3000RPM, I then went to a universal 48V controller because I wanted to get some more RPM out of the setup... Even though I was able to nicely fit 3 12V 10AH batteries in the stock tray, I couldn't fit 4 so I removed the stock tray and build one to fit the batteries and still have plenty of room for the controller and whatever else I throw in there... I built new lower shock mounts to raise the rear suspension about 3in, then to level the front out, I lowered the fork dropouts to the bottom of the for like most bikes are... i don't know why they were build so high on the fork from the factory but they gave me the 3in easily...
The rear wheel has a freewheel on it and opens up allot more sprocket options as well and coasts very nicely when I let go of the throttle...
I love the setup, I even love how its sits jacked up, but Im not impressed with the performance results just yet. Ive played with gearing a bit and have only seen 16-17mph so far... The stock setup running on 36V gave me that speed last year. Granted it does get to top speed pretty fast, I would like to see double the speed... The batteries are currently in question right now, LIPOS might be in the future for it...
Currently there is no brakes on it because I didn't like the rear band brake and after lowering the front wheel the V-Brakes wont fit, but I have a 160MM rear disc and a caliper for the back I just haven't put tabs on the frame for it yet... Here in Wisconsin we just breaking into 35+ weather. Once the caliper tabs are welded on the whole scooter will get torn down sand blasted and painted, Im also playing with the idea of gearing it at 11/90 for the torque and throwing some razor MX tires on it for the off road look...
And here is what it looks like now only 4 days after completing the build so its a little rough still...

You can fit some nice lipos in that large tray. Those sla need to go with that big motor!

Nice build. I like the way you mounted the motor. I also like your option of being able to chain out the sprockets for more hi/low gearing options. Very cool. Your battery compartment conversion is great too. So many people critisize SLA's but hey.. Whatever works and as long as it suits your needs.
Have you ever consindered a spare 48v pack to wire in parallel? To satisfy the desire of taking longer rides? It's nice to always have an extra pack charging too.

Back