Electric Dirtbike 15 KW

I would you to introduce my project :
Integrate an electric motor into a gear box.

Specifications :
The motor is an Alien Power System 12090 Outrunner brushless motor 130KV 15 000 W
The EV : Alien 7Kw 48-60V EV controller-CA direct plug
DSC_1115.JPG

The motor come into the gear box. The motor drives the clutch and the gearbox. I keep the 5-speed for greater speed range.
DSC_1110.JPG
View attachment 4

The motor attached to the support.
DSC_1134.JPG
DSC_1137.JPG

Realization of a box for batteries :
6 x ZIPPY Flightmax 8000mAh 5S1P 30C
View attachment 1

The bike is charging after a ride in the snow =)
DSC_1225.JPG

A video is coming...................

The sound of the motor in neutral position:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpgnZjqIbz0&feature=youtu.be

Does that motor have sufficient back iron to prevent eddy currents from heating the aluminum engine case surrounding it?

[EDIT] I seem to recall someone having problems with the heating of surrounding stationary metal in a similar setup and mentioning that those type of motors are usually mounted in the air without anything near them, so the motor designers don't need to spec to prevent flux leakage.
Subject: Electric Surf Board
blisspacket said:
I had a bright U of Fl student point out to me that surrounding an outrunner motor with aluminum is a no-no. I don't know if yours might be set up that way. There are magnetic influences within the outrunner which get messed up when contained within aluminum. The practical test to illustrate this: drop a neodymium magnet through an aluminum tube. You'll observe that there seems to be less gravity within the tube, and the magnet drops markedly slower than just letting it go in free air. :?:
Also: Subject: Newbie from Norway building JR e-trials bike.

Dauntless said:
I'm dying to hear you say that motor holds up under serious dirtbiking.

Did you hollow out the original engine or is that a new housing?

The base engine is from a 450 CRF 2003.
The left housing was milled in order to integrate the electric motor.

Below the housing concerned:

View attachment 1

gogo said:
Does that motor have sufficient back iron to prevent eddy currents from heating the aluminum engine case surrounding it?

[EDIT] I seem to recall someone having problems with the heating of surrounding stationary metal in a similar setup and mentioning that those type of motors are usually mounted in the air without anything near them, so the motor designers don't need to spec to prevent flux leakage.
Subject: Electric Surf Board
blisspacket said:
I had a bright U of Fl student point out to me that surrounding an outrunner motor with aluminum is a no-no. I don't know if yours might be set up that way. There are magnetic influences within the outrunner which get messed up when contained within aluminum. The practical test to illustrate this: drop a neodymium magnet through an aluminum tube. You'll observe that there seems to be less gravity within the tube, and the magnet drops markedly slower than just letting it go in free air. :?:
Also: Subject: Newbie from Norway building JR e-trials bike.

I had not thought of this.
But how to do the difference between normal heat of the electric motor (about 10% ) and heat due from eddy current?

What I see:

When I ride a long time, the engine mount (part milled) is about 50 to 60 °C but the gear box is not hot.

This is an interesting observation.

Someone suggested running the motor without load while its installed, and then 'open -air', and measure the current difference. While you have the motor 'open-air' you can hang a paperclip on a string and hold it close to see if there's 'some or none' flux present.

gogo said:
Someone suggested running the motor without load while its installed, and then 'open -air', and measure the current difference. While you have the motor 'open-air' you can hang a paperclip on a string and hold it close to see if there's 'some or none' flux present.

Might be easier to measure leakage by just measuring the open air vs. mounted current draw for a given speed. So long as you don't have differences in your open air mount and your mounted mount, then the current increase from mounted should be a consequence of the flux losses heating surrounding material.

hi,
nice project you made here!
i am also planing of doing this but then with a streek kart and an brushed motor and a 48v 300a controller.
do you need al gears? and what do you recomend a gearbox from a 150cc moped? or do i need to look in 500cc gearboxes?

greetings louis

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing your good work.

livetek said:
Awesome !! That's a monster !
Can you make more vids ? Thanks ! :)

Thanks,
I'll try to make a new video this summer.
I saw that you live in France. Where exactly ?
I come from the 68 .

louis raaijmakers said:
hi,
nice project you made here!
i am also planing of doing this but then with a streek kart and an brushed motor and a 48v 300a controller.
do you need al gears? and what do you recomend a gearbox from a 150cc moped? or do i need to look in 500cc gearboxes?

greetings louis

Hi,
Yes I need all the gears, I hold the engine speed to have the nominal power.
It's hard to say without additional elements. What is the size of the engine?
I use a gearbox from a Honda 450 CRF.

It's a small bike though. I don't know much about dirt bikes. Is its like a pit bike or a kids motorcross like a kx80? Cheers

jase1979 said:
It's a small bike though. I don't know much about dirt bikes. Is its like a pit bike or a kids motorcross like a kx80? Cheers

Exactly it's like a Pit bike.
Below the site where I bought a few items:
http://www.newmotorz.com/dirt-bike-pit-bike.html

Dauntless said:
How IS the motor doing? Anyone have a mileage to hope for it holding up?

The motor works well, I use a ventilator to cooling, the temperature remains acceptable into the gearbox approx. 60 - 80 °C (it depends on the outside temperature).

I made twenty loads and for the moment no problem (no wear, no play).

hoping to have answered the questions...

Some specifications that I had not communicated :

Weight : approx. 70 kg
Power peak : 15 kW (20 ch)
Couple motor : approx. 20 N.m / couple max (1th gear) : 320 N.m
V max : 75 km/h
Battery : 55.5 V / 16 A.h
Gearbox : 5 gears
Autonomy : 45 - 60 minutes
Charging time : 3 hours

Back