Motorized Couch

belsamber

1 µW
I'm just getting around to documenting this project for posterity... Some 18 months ago I saw a motorised couch at a music festival and thought "I MUST HAVE ONE." Nearly a year later (just in time for the next years festival) I had completed it... And for reference, it's incredibly comfortable, and also converts into a bed :)

couch.jpg

It uses differential steering to save on machining (whole thing was completed with hand tools) and goes way faster than necessary unless you cap the motor controllers to it's minimum setting (30%) which is a fast walking speed. The biggest problem is brakes...

[youtube]HCfDcYWl0AY[/youtube]

(That was at 50% max speed on the motor controllers)

Tech Specs
4 x 12V 60AH SLA Batteries
2 x Cyclone 2kW 48V brushless motors
2 x Kelly Controller KBS48101X (40A, 24-48V)
14:90 gear reduction, 12 1/2″ wheels.

More build details at https://fadsihave.wordpress.com/category/couch/

Future Plans:
- Better brakes. Not quite sure how yet
- A better control scheme - I have plans in progress involving an arduino and an xbox controller
- Two stage gear reduction. I'd like to gear it down another 50% for more torque, easier control and better regenerative braking
- An awning for shade

I for one am looing forward to more video evidence of this contraption, and am interested in seeing the improvements you plan. Yes, judging for the video, brakes might be a point of focus :lol: , but what an awesome undertaking!

There's a thread 'your ride videos' , and a video of this thing would certainly be welcome there!
After we have enough people, we could all edit our first post in the thread to also contain which our fav user video was too, that would be fun imo.

Thanks guys! I have some time scheduled in December to work on the next steps, so I'll post some follow ups as things get done... Currently the couch and I are in different countries :-(

The magic carpet in that video is pretty epic, but maybe not quite so stable as a couch for loading a few people and a bunch of beers onto :-D hahaha.

Made some progress... Two stage gear reduction is working well, though has occasional problems with losing the chain... I'm assuming it's alignment.

IMG_4267.jpg

And now have it controlled via a wireless xbox controller which is infinitely easier to use than the previous method.

[youtube]pBahCrCS7Ho[/youtube]

I also got the regenerative braking working which solves a lot of problems with slowing down. We plan some Flintstones style brakes for backup... Literally a lever that you pull up on to dig a piece of wood into the ground... Simple and (hopefully) effective... ;)

This is fantastic. Controlling it with the xbox controller is genius!

Imagine how much fun it would be to have 10 of these and race them around the track like go karts.

That thing is awesome. I have been collecting parts for a rideable cooler, but I think I just changed my mind that it will now be a couch and cooler! :)

Also, have you had any troubles with the authorities at the events you have taken it to?

Back