2nd Hubmonster in less than a month... Those CL odds..

Voltron

1 MW
I've been itching for one of these for a couple for of years after reading about them and seeing one on a friend's scooter. This one had been popping up on CL every few months....
KIMG0080-800x450.JPG

So finally went ahead and got it. Then of course, in the way of things.. here's this one, less than a month later, and about 2 miles from my house!

KIMG0124-800x450.JPG

This sure if going to make turning one into mid drive while being able to still drive one easier... This one doesn't run, but it's probably due to its wonky , homemade looking lifepo pack. I've seen some crazy wiring, but this one takes the cake, lots of unlabeled toggle switches and four charger ports.. total rats nest inside.
View attachment 1
KIMG0131-800x450.JPG

Def a project ... I might have to stop checking CL for a while... Lol

Battery pack is not looking good.. I bet the guy was congratulating himself on fitting them all in there. Getting them out after they started puffing and wedging themselves in was not easy.
KIMG0149-600x1067.JPG

Wow!

That's quite the pack, just better out of the vehicle than in it.

Mmmm....I'd take both those motors, and replace the wheels on the back of the SB Cruiser with them. :)

(or just build a whole new version of SBC)

Yes, definetly better out than in..

KIMG0161-800x450.JPG

KIMG0146-800x450.JPG

With the puffing, delaminating, rusting and wacky series/parallel hookup for charging it was a big fire waiting to happen. That second picture shows all the stuff that was added to the bucket under the seat.
And nothing says quality pack like recycled cardboard under everything.

KIMG0162-800x450.JPG

Got the two of them next to each other to bridge the battery cables across.

KIMG0188-800x450.JPG
The first time I tried this a week or so ago it didn't work, but was getting late in the day. This time double checked everything, got the steady red light on the dash instead of a flashing one, and it spun right up!
Exciting stuff when your $150 crapshoot whirs to life :D

It made a bit of a knock every rotation, that sounded bearing-ish, so decided to go ahead and open it. Turns out the bearings are OK maybe, but the magnets are delaminating the coating off on a few of them, so going to detail the motor a bit before reassembly.

KIMG0192-800x450.JPG

Thanks for the help son!

Forget the heavy pig scooters and either put a motor in something lighter and more bike-like, and juice the current and voltage up for some real performance....OR use them both on a 2wd emoto with a big battery and juice up the current and voltage for an awesome performing bike capable of real highway speeds and getting there in a hurry. It's such a shame to waste them in a heavy pig scooter, because the load forced the factory to limit battery current to about 100A total. My lighter loads have allowed me to double that with a stock motor, and with my cooling mods 2.5X that and a quite cool running motor. Forget the too common high phase/battery current limit ratio if you want to run real power as it just causes unnecessary heat. I never run more that a 1.5:1 ratio.

FWIW you'll scratch the hell out of the magnet coating putting it back together, so it's never any use doing more than just pulling the side cover unless you really have a bad bearing or do cooling mods. Put new bearings in even if the old ones are still good. Install a couple of 10k thermistors too using both the 2 wires for the existing thermal switch, and using the extra wire from each of the sets of halls (those shielded hall bundles have 6 wires in each.).

Yes, I'm down with the whole volt up/gear down thru wheel size reduction/ ditch the scooter body thing.. :D

KIMG0047-640x360.JPG

But on these, I'm more running towards keeping the one legal for now, and settling for mild performance while I figure out batteries. The red one is the more beat up of the two, so one that will become the test bed for mid mounting the motor that's apart right now and running chain or belt drive to a moto wheel.
It also has some non stock replacement controllers so it's an open question what they actually put out. Good tips on the bearings and extra wire in the Hall bundles, thx.

Back