E-Ducati Build

EVbikenoobie

10 mW
Hi all,
My name is Jon, and here's a bit of background story about the build, and myself.
I'm currently living in Guangzhou, China, where the build will be taking place, and as many know that the censorship here is crazy so "googling" is out of the equation. (VPN works, sometimes, maybe...)
You guys can imagine how agonizing it is to do research without GOOGLE AND YOUTUBE, search engine here is shit, and DIY-EV community is equal to NONE. My only experience with EV/E-bikes is that I've built an E-go kart while back in the states, which is pretty much NEWBIE level comparing to most people here.
So! I will be throwing out lots of amateur questions, PLEASE do help me out!! Thanks in advance!!

Enough with the chipchats and moving on to the build.

ONE MORE THING, it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED IF vendors can ship parts/items internationally... EVpower and most don't... cough cough cough... cough, yeah. Or if you guys can help me out with shipping..

I'm looking to build an AWESOME ONE OF KIND Electric Ducati.

Frame: 2009 Ducati 1098/898
MOTOR: ME1507 (This is actually made in china, I know a guy from factory that makes exporting motors. )
Controller: Sevcon Gen4 Size 6
Battery Pack: LG ICR18650 HG2 (Hopefully these are authentic, cells do hold 3000mAH)
Nominal Voltage: 96.2v
BMS: Not decided, probably only gonna use it for Charging, Discharging will be straight out of the terminals.

GEARING: this is a major problem, I'VE NO IDEA!! and motor sprocket is so difficult to find in china...
I was thinking to make a gear reduction box, but idk how to CAD so...

Should be an interesting build.. and hopefully won't be a dead build thread.
please note that I'm carefree with my language, it maybe explicit.

I dunno how to CAD and drawing isn't my thing, so i'm just gonna go ahead and put this "concept" out here.
Yes, it's gonna be a blue frame!!!!

This is pretty much what I've in mind. Right now, I need to build a lower chassis to hold battery packs and Motor.
Will "TRY" to make it an extended chassis to ducati's trellis frame design.
Since it's gonna involve welding, which I've only done less than five times in my life, and pipe notching without notcher.
It may take a minute to finish...
It is very difficult to find a good tig welder, in China.......................

Well I guess our builds have some similarities 8). Good luck I'll be following it.

I have sprockets to fit the me1507. Search Amp sprockets on Facebook. Also in Electric Motorcycle Builds Exchange - Facebook group

Hi, I just subscribed. I am planning a similar build as I am graduating from e-bikes :D (check my signature). I posted a CAD file of the ME1507 motor recently as I couldn't find one to mock up my bike in Fusion360. I placed a link to it below if it may be of some help to you. I have not started my build thread yet, but I wait in anticipation of your build updates. I am really interested in your battery pack design, if you can share. Cheers

Motenergy ME1507 on GrabCAD: https://grabcad.com/aastan.gadson-1

Burntspot said:
Hi, I just subscribed. I am planning a similar build as I am graduating from e-bikes :D (check my signature). I posted a CAD file of the ME1507 motor recently as I couldn't find one to mock up my bike in Fusion360. I placed a link to it below if it may be of some help to you. I have not started my build thread yet, but I wait in anticipation of your build updates. I am really interested in your battery pack design, if you can share. Cheers

Motenergy ME1507 on GrabCAD: https://grabcad.com/library/motenergy-me1507-electric-motor-2

Good to see another ME1507 build!!
Will be packing the batteries right after Motor mount and extended chassis, so i know exactly how much space available to place the batteries. Idk how to cad the entire bike so i've to do the old fashion way, mocking up the actual parts.

btw your CAD link is 404. Maybe it's just my computer....

Finally... my motor sprocket is here...
First custom order is complete shit,

I told them the shaft diameter with 11 teeth, and specifically told them it's pairing with 525 Motorcycle chain!
This is what they sent me... wtf...??

Then, I sent in the rear sprocket and ask them to redo the sprockets with two different teeth number.

Finally send out the correct stuff...

HOWEVER!!! they fked up the keyway, fortunately it's only minor issue, i'm not gonna send it back again...
I'll need to file it down a bit to make it fit on the motor...

Time to custom these is about 2 days process after payment, with 2 days shipping. (shipping is crazy fast in china, and cheap)

total cost for the two correct sized sprocket = 210 rmb (~31 USD) 2 days shipping included.
Made with 304 stainless steel.

EVbikenoobie said:
Burntspot said:

Motenergy ME1507 on GrabCAD: https://grabcad.com/library/motenergy-me1507-electric-motor-1

Good to see another ME1507 build!!
Will be packing the batteries right after Motor mount and extended chassis, so i know exactly how much space available to place the batteries. Idk how to cad the entire bike so i've to do the old fashion way, mocking up the actual parts.

btw your CAD link is 404. Maybe it's just my computer....

Link repaired

Burntspot said:
I have been working on some more models/CAD files: https://grabcad.com/aastan.gadson-1

Thanks for uploading these! Do you know if the ME motor casing has the same overall dimensions and bolt hole pattern as the ZF 75-7 motor?

stamen said:
Burntspot said:
I have been working on some more models/CAD files: https://grabcad.com/aastan.gadson-1

Thanks for uploading these! Do you know if the ME motor casing has the same overall dimensions and bolt hole pattern as the ZF 75-7 motor?

From my understanding they are the exact same motor minus some minor tweaks in performance between Me1507 and 75-7. 75-5 is thinner.

Late late updates due to busy busy days.
Let the work keep on going!!
First thing first, I've got a new 1098 frame because the red one was damaged at the steering bearing. Unable to seat a new bearing.

Then move on to the motor mount, his Motor mount is made out of 6061 aluminium. Cost about ~ $50 plus same day shipping, though it took a week to CNC.

Not really a perfect fit due to some design flaws, had to grind some spots but overall, it's a great fit.

I read in your first post that you will weld the battery box to the frame. I am thinking that you would not need to weld it to the frame. Just make custom clamps that clamps the batterybox onto the frame. The trellis frame is plenty strong for you to hang the battery box onto the frame. That way you dont need to risk bad welds, or worst even warping of the frame. Maybe the frame has some mounting points where the battery case can be bolted to the frame? Then battery box should act as a stress member and give more overall strength.

Regarding jack shaft or reduction gear box, what wheel size will you be using in the rear? And what size of sprockets can you get locally? That motor you got has a rotor max speed of about 6000 rpm iirc. Maybe with a 16" wheel you will not need any more reduction then what you can via the sprockets?

Continuing with the build
This time i'm working on the battery and sevcon wiring.
just to put everything into actions.

battery pack consist of two modules, each at 48v nominal.
Each module's with figuration of 13s22p, using LG HG2 18650 cells.
Total gives 96V 66Ah
LG HG2 can draw 20A each cell, so the goal or the max amp is at 440A.

Will not be using BMS, until i find one.....
Battery Charger has a voltage protection itself so charging to full is not a problem. (Fully charged at 109v.)

and the wiring for sevcon I'm using a sheet off EMF-power, if there's any different way to wire, please let me know.
I'm missing the wiring for display output (rpm, temp, etc)

and ofcourse, REGEN.
PLEASE!! IF THERE'S ANYONE OUT THERE!!
PLEASE , help me with regen, i'd like to have a "left hand" type of regen.
Thank you!!

annnnnnd then we'll see how this goes.

Looking fantastic.

Unfortunately, at those types of currents, all cheap Chinese BMS fly out of the window. :(
Personally I love OrionBMS. Great software, great documentation lots of features.
But at that kind of price range, you have other options too.

Maybe a cheap Chinese BMS but instead of driving the real load, only let it drive the DC/DC and through that a high current contactor for the motor driver.
That way you lose current sense from the BMS. But at least you allow the BMS to cut off the load if it needs to. Should work, although I never tested it.

TilmanBaumann said:
Looking fantastic.

Maybe a cheap Chinese BMS but instead of driving the real load, only let it drive the DC/DC and through that a high current contactor for the motor driver.
That way you lose current sense from the BMS. But at least you allow the BMS to cut off the load if it needs to. Should work, although I never tested it.

That would work for protecting the pack during discharge. For charging, it may take a little interface circuit to run the contactor. If the charging current is low enough, the BMS might be able to handle it.

EVbikenoobie said:
Late late updates due to busy busy days.
Let the work keep on going!!
First thing first, I've got a new 1098 frame because the red one was damaged at the steering bearing. Unable to seat a new bearing.

Then move on to the motor mount, his Motor mount is made out of 6061 aluminium. Cost about ~ $50 plus same day shipping, though it took a week to CNC.

Not really a perfect fit due to some design flaws, had to grind some spots but overall, it's a great fit.

Very nice build! I will be following this one. I'm also planning to use the same motor for a project. Good luck :)

Which Chinese supplier are you using for the milling?

fechter said:
TilmanBaumann said:
Looking fantastic.

That would work for protecting the pack during discharge. For charging, it may take a little interface circuit to run the contactor. If the charging current is low enough, the BMS might be able to handle it.
This is the same way I’m connecting the BMS on my electric vesa conversion. The drive current from the BMS trips a relay that closes the contactor. That way all the BMS protections (temp, low voltage) are still in place, and it will charge and balance the cells. I leave the regen and current limiting to the controller.

Back