PM box IS NOT A CHATROOM !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctorbass

100 GW
:roll:

Well am i the only one to receive ALOT of questions on my PM box by some members everydays... and sometime 4-5 questions by the same members and like 4-5 times a week!!

I REALLY FEEL LIKE SOME MEMBERS HERE USE THE PM BOX EXACTLY LIKE A CHATROOM !!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

and send every singles questions they have in their mind as a new PM and just aren't able to rassemble all them and send them as a complete NORMAL PM !!!

I hate that!!!

It's like they think they are the only one sending me 3-4 PMs a day!!...

worst.. they feel surprized or frustrated when you suggest them searching by themself :roll:

To all you who do that, never forget that receiving answers to your questions is a privilege.. not an obligation... so please DONT EXAGGERATE ! if you want us to continue answering! :wink:

Doc

Also, most of the time, the question PMs tend to be things that should really be asked in a public thread instead, so that all the answers can be shared with future question-askers. ;)

BTW, if you need to, you can effectively block PMs from specific people by using the Rules, folders & settings in your PM box:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=options
and starting at the "Add new rule" section at the top of that page.

It is even possible to make a whitelist so that only specific people can get PMs into your inbox; the easiest way to do this is by setting a rule that puts any PMs from people that are *not* set as "friends" into the trash automatically. Then you can simply add people as friends from within their profile page whenever you wish to be able to get PMs from them. Otherwise, nothing will get thru. ;)

This is what we get for not adequately maintaining our FAQ/sticky threads on the forum.

The same question... over and over again.
We can point people to the thread but it is often so ADD'd out that the answer is hidden within 10-20 pages..

Someone needs to take the helm.

p.s. thanks for answering my questions when i bugged you. I didn't know you were so bogged down.

neptronix said:
p.s. thanks for answering my questions when i bugged you. I didn't know you were so bogged down.

Hey neptronix, I can ensure you that it's not about you :wink: The people i'm talking about are like 10 times that...... just like Beavinator :roll: who pushed the limit too far today.

Doc

amberwolf said:
Also, most of the time, the question PMs tend to be things that should really be asked in a public thread instead, so that all the answers can be shared with future question-askers. ;)

BTW, if you need to, you can effectively block PMs from specific people by using the Rules, folders & settings in your PM box:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=options
and starting at the "Add new rule" section at the top of that page.

It is even possible to make a whitelist so that only specific people can get PMs into your inbox; the easiest way to do this is by setting a rule that puts any PMs from people that are *not* set as "friends" into the trash automatically. Then you can simply add people as friends from within their profile page whenever you wish to be able to get PMs from them. Otherwise, nothing will get thru. ;)

Thanks for the advice

DOc

neptronix said:
This is what we get for not adequately maintaining our FAQ/sticky threads on the forum.

No....

It's from dipsticks not using the search and from not having the nads to ask in public.

TylerDurden said:
neptronix said:

No....
It's from dipsticks not using the search and from not having the nads to ask in public.

The search function on this board is actually kind of esoteric until you really learn how to use it. I did not figure out how to get good results from it for some time.

Even still, if you do find a thread that is good, you have dozens upon dozens of pages to read.
This is fine if you are up to date and read the site every day.
If you are new, it is a nightmare.

It was really frustrating for me when i joined.
So we will be plagued by the same questions until we have a good set of faqs.

I just ignore most PM's from newbs.

Here is the OFFICIAL FAQ

Q: How can I find my answers?
A: Use the search feature.

Q: What if I find the search "kind of esoteric"?
A: Keep trying; because if you can't use a simple search, you are unfit to leave the house.

Q: Why shouldn't I just PM a member for the answer?
A: Because your question is most likely answered already, by someone who had the good sense to ask in public instead of wasting other people's time.

Q: Why doesn't the FAQ have the answer to my specific question?
A: Because the variety of systems is so broad: an FAQ covers typical issues, but not much is typical here.

Q: When I search, I get a lot of results... is that normal?
A: Yes. You can refine your search by using the "Search these results" feature.

Q: What if I still can't find an answer to my question?
A: Ask in the appropriate public forum. There are many knowledgeable folks who are happy to help, if you have done your due-diligence. Your question (and the answers) will build the body of information that others can search.

Q: What are PMs for?
A: Personal exchanges that would not benefit the public.

Welcome to the ES Forums.

remember just a few cups of hot salt water to the controller, will solve all of your n00b ebike problems.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Wow. That's excellent Tyler.
That needs to be stickied at the top of every forum, and added to the rules list when you sign up.

lol.. i get a fair amount as well... fairly regularly i'll forget to reply to pm's not because i don't intend to but just run out of time or the questions are way too drawn out to answer quickly...

I know it's hard when you start out in all this, hell , often i get pm's from people who are willing to search but have no idea what they are looking for ( what search words to use.. )

But yeah.. the stickies could certainly use some improvements.. .. .. damn day job and it's time sucking requirements..

Ypedal said:
But yeah.. the stickies could certainly use some improvements.. .. .. damn day job and it's time sucking requirements..

Well if you don't have time to do it, maybe someone else can.
In every message board i've been on, there are faqs consisting of both compiled postings, pictures, and written text.
They are clear and informative and eliminate a lot of newbie questions. And if a newbie doesn't read them, then you have a place to point to. Right now we just don't have that.

I noticed a few members on here including you were compiling information on separate sites..
Seems like that has been sort of an answer for the ES faqs issue.

If no ES higher ups have the time to do it, Consider this me raising my hand for the task. I would be happy to do it in my spare time.

Yup--- I got tired of answering the same questions so I just started writing really beginnerish stuff on my site. Yesterday I did one on using magura throttles with hall controllers. Some of the pages I wouldn't mind reposting to be stickied, and edited by members with a more thorough knowledge. I'm not a newb, but I do lack the depth of knowledge and experience some of you guys have. Also I'm a bit scared of offending some one because I use so many photos from this site. I try to give credit to people when I use their pictures. Maybe it's for the best because I downloaded like every picture of torque arms that I could before the picture crash!

BTW I don't even use the search function: I do this in google so often all I have to do is type "s" into the search bar to bring up site:http://endless-sphere.com "wtvr I'm searching for"

auraslip said:
BTW I don't even use the search function: I do this in google so often all I have to do is type "s" into the search bar to bring up site:http://endless-sphere.com "wtvr I'm searching for"
Yes, the google is good for phrases and exclusions (google advanced search).

The ES can also be searched within a member's posts, by viewing their profile and user statistics: "Search user's posts".

Ha yeah, i find using google to search endless sphere is actually better, more often than not, than using the actual search function. PHPBB search is okay but it can't match up.

For the ES search, i check :

Search within: o Topic titles only
Display results as: o Topics

If you don't use those options then you will be completely lost.
If you don't know what search terms to use then you are *totally* lost.

It helps, but there are a lot of pages to wade through to get info. The juicy bits are just not consolidated.
I'm with you auraslip. You can edit the posts and take feedback to correct it if you had the job of FAQ boy though.
Other people have written good FAQ bits on here and not got stickied. So someone just needs to take the helm on this.

Well also a lot of that stuff is dated and there are no 'for newbies' articles.
A lot of it is technical and very specific. Which... is appropriate for that section.

Not very helpful for anyone who is getting into this and doesn't know anything about batteries or motors or controllers.

We really need a section where we can just dump well written FAQs into. No rambling threads or conversations, just well organized info.

Dogman has a couple good articles floating around. Auraslip has written some stuff. I've raised my hand to write some other articles / fill in the blanks.

Let's make it happen; how about starting a FAQs section. Grant some people the power to lock their own threads so that the FAQ posts don't turn into dozens of pages of discussion, and place the responsibility on them to keep their threads updated.

I'm down to post the stuff I've written, although some of it is opinionated and perhaps not technically correct as it could be.

It definitely would cut down on the newbs asking "what battery should I buy?"
A "beginners section" would be a great place for newbs to read/ignore a few stickied articles and then post the inevitable "what battery should I buy" thread.

I'd venture that the Technical Reference section
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=16
would be a great place for the FAQs, especially since you can ONLY post there if you are part of the "guru" group (with blue names). Anyone can apply to be a "guru", I don't know who approves those (presumably us mods but I haven't found how yet).

Just go into your profile here:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/ucp.php?i=167
and click the radio button at the right end of the "Gurus
Users allowed to post in the EV Basics section
This is an open group, members can apply to join." box.

Mods should also be able to copy or move FAQs written by others into that forum, too, if anyone requests it.

If there are FAQs that already exist but are cluttered and/or dated, and anyone wants to "clean up" or rewrite them, we can also copy/move the rewritten version there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back