• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Fuse switchout help

medusa569

100 W
OK guys: I think I've stumbled onto the long proble I've had with blowing fuses..or at least one if not THE one.
I want to switch out the inline cylindrical fuse holder built into my eZee battery's case for an exterior 30 a blade fuse. Any directions on how to do that?? include any warnings for delicate oints aside from letting pos & neg touch...... thank you !

medusa

for those that are too curious it would seemt hat perhaps with all the great bumps we have on our fair streets here in DC my battery case has been hitting right on the fuse holder which does not sit flush with the rest of the case.....every bump...damage and shock to the fuse. Shazammmmmm. I would a never thought of that had it not been for the greatly angled fuse holder I discovered on the last breakdown.

Haven't tried one yet but I've added a trolling motor breaker switch to my wish list. Saw it on Amazon.com. If you get one, post your results. Should work fine.

Ezee2sm.JPGI'll look up the trolling motor breaker but to get back on the road quickly it never hurts to ahve an external fuse setup especially now since the built in one has broken. I reopened the case and see that it has anothr 5 amp blad fuse although i don't know what for. I'm also confused becasue all th wires are red.
where;s the negative so I know what and how to touch without frying myself. I've posted pics..on one side you see the singular internal round broken fuse..on the other side you see the round charging port and the square rocker type on off switch. How do i go about wiring in the external blad fuse to this?? :?:

Attachments

• eZee fusesm.JPG
    eZee fusesm.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 2,804
  • ezee3sm.JPG
    ezee3sm.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 2,804
Wow! Time to break out the multi-meter and find out who is + and who is - ! Remember, a breaker rarely needs replacement. Just flip the switch!

The 5A auto blade fuse is for the charger input.
Most e-bikes have the fuses and switches in the positive line.
The new autoblade fuse should be wired in place of the old round one - i.e. unplug/cut the wires going to that fuse and join (solder/crimp) them to your new fuse. Insulate the connections with heatshrink or electrical tape. If you are going to remove the round fuse holder then fit a blanking plug.

Installed the trolling motor breaker. Haven't tested it yet. It's a 12volt, 50 Amp auto-reset breaker. As it's just a breaker switch, I'm guessing it doesn't care that I'm running 48 volts. It's the 50 amps that count, right? Testing will be today or tomorrow.

Back