Making slotted nickel strips?

spinningmagnets said:
I have made the slots on nickel ribbon with a Dremel using their abrasive disc.

DremelDisc1.jpg

I once saw a 3D print of a micro table saw using a Dremel with these wheels.
I'm going to make one and add a little sliding caddy to make it easy to cut consistent slots. Should also be possible to cut a few strips simultaneously

Need to finish some battery case designs first though.

Edit - This kind of thing

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:670704

That's a good point. The discs are brittle. I was happy with the results, but I did break a few, so I had to cut the material slowly.

Also consider using shears to cut the 8mm wide strip into two 4mm strips. Even when touching in the 8mm slot of the cell holders, the cut has poor conductivity, and that's all you need to force the welding current to go through the cell.

Maybe worth an experiment?

dremel also has fiber-reinforced discs, though they are about twice as thick as the brittle ones. but they don't break easily.

defa6bcce4bc100f26a55d1c408acdc8.jpg

Those are 25mm wide strips that will cover 6 cells at a time. So cutting with sheers may not be possible most of the time.

amberwolf said:
dremel also has fiber-reinforced discs, though they are about twice as thick as the brittle ones. but they don't break easily.
I got both of them. And diamond wheels as well. I will try all three kind of cutting wheels as well as the punch with 1mm diameter. It should be possible to punch holes quite easily as nickel is soft compared to steel. It will need a hard wood surface as counter part that will not destroy the punch but be hard enough to make precise holes.

Back