BMS & Leaf modules for dummies

Kimmo57

1 µW
I'm starting an electric motorcycle project. I'm no electrician and am figuring things out as I go along, so this might be a stupid question.
One thing I'm having trouble understanding is how a BMS works with Leaf modules. I have 6 out of a 30kWh Leaf. There's a + and a - with one more connector in between. How does the BMS control 4 cells in the module with just these connections? :?:

18de6dc80395.jpg

Kimmo57 said:
How does the BMS control 4 cells in the module with just these connections?

With 4 cells you need 5 connection points:
Negative
Top of cell 1
Top of cell 2
Top of cell 3
Positive

Note in the picture there that you have 6 connection points.

The photo confuses things a little..
The secret is in clarifying the terminology of “cell”, “group”, “sets”, “module”,
The lower module (from the 30 kWh pack) , actually has 8 cells inside it...in 2 “sets” of 4 .
Each “set” of 4 cells are configured with pairs of cells in “groups” for a 2p, 2s, arrangement with main power (larger) terminals at 7.4volts for each set of 4 and a mid connection (the smaller central terminal) to sense the 3.7volts on each pair of parallel cells.
So, the BMS connects to each of the 3 terminals on each set of 4 cells. And is effectively monitoring pairs of parallel cells....not individual cells.
And, for the full 8 cell, 14.8v, module, the BMS will need 5 connections, because one will be a common connection.

Back