NiMH Custom pack... Worth it?

I want to make a custom batt pack to evenly and neatly distribute across my mtn bike frame. I was looking at 10,000 mA 1.2v D cells http://www.all-battery.com/20pcsofdsize10000mahhighcapacityhighratenimhrechargeablebatteries.aspx.

Would it be simple enough to buy two of these to create a 48v pack, and hook it to a 48v NiMH charger? It almost sounds too simple, should I be aware of anything, and how will it compare to my SLA batts? I am really interested in making a custom pack that will fit into "tubes" that could be easily removed for biking the old fashioned way without the weight, and to conform it to the shape of my frame.

It seems to be the same price as me buying a 48v SLA stack. It says it can handle the discharge rate, will there be any more range compared to the SLA?

whats the discharge rate on those? I didn't find it on that site.

I would not recommend those.... :(

1st is you won't get 10ah from a D cell, expect 8ah at best ( and i do mean " Best Case Scenario " ) ..

2nd they don't have tabs so you would have to solder them and this is also not recommended unless you know what you are doing and have the right gear for it.

3rd you canot charge Nimh/Nicad in parallel, so you need to charge each string seperately if you want to double them up ..

4th , " high rate " my ass.. IF they happen to be similar to what Bob McCree tested a few years ago, they do " ok " but expect significant voltage sag if you push them hard.

bottom line, skip NIMH.. !

I agree. Have you looked at ebikes-ca packs? They also sell tabbed 5 c nicads. I would think though, that cutting up their nicad packs and rebuilding into funny shapes wouldn't be so hard. You could cut a pack into two pieces, or whatever you needed and save some soldering.

Back