nano technology

slayer

1 kW
Hi guys i am new member here but i was reading everyday and when i saw those new batteries i tought you would like to see the specs on them

cell prismatic
1.5 ah
2.5 volts
18,000 cycles
very fast charge....10 minutes for 90 % even in very large packs (cars)

Attachments

• AltairnanoEDTAPresentation.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 375
it looks good, but, they dont show the price, if they cost even 50% more than Li batteries then we are in trouble

that's a good news for battery technology... but..

I checked the document.. and on page 20 (about their EV demo, they say:
"
•Spring 2007 Availability•Employs 28 Modules (35kWh @ 386V)•136 Mile Range•<10 Minute Recharge•95 mph top speed•0-60 mph in <10 sec•Targeted at Fleet Market
Zero Emission, Type III, All Electric Vehicle"

:shock: !! that mean 35kW/h to charge in 10 min!!!??

doing some math.. 60min/10min= 6

6 x 35 000W = 210 000W of power if the charge is 100% efficient!!

.... :?

ok.. supose you use a 240Vac outlet... 210000/240 = 875A !!!

Who have it in his house here?

by this way, why not using supercapacitor technology and charging them in 1 sec....

only need of 126MEGAWATTs of power during i sec and suppose you use the 25kV line, you would only need 5040Amp

DONT FORGET... i'm in Doc Emmett Brown's family... maybe i would like to use the famous Mr fusion and getting 2.21Gigawatt and charge them in 5.7E-5 second.... with lightning!!

:mrgreen:

Doc

Doctorbass said:
:shock: !! that mean 35kW/h to charge in 10 min!!!??

doing some math.. 60min/10min= 6

6 x 35 000W = 210 000W of power if the charge is 100% efficient!!

.... :?

ok.. supose you use a 240Vac outlet... 210000/240 = 875A !!!

Who have it in his house here?

In own house you have usually more time than 10 minutes to charge that battery.

Btw have you only in Quebec one phase house wirings and outlets ?

In Poland we have since many years 3 phases electrical instalations for power purposes at homes.

I didn't suppose - so far - Quebec is so many years behind the Poland in electrical infrastructure.

Why do you need 3 phase power in your home?

I highly doubt Quebec is "so many years behind the Poland..."

Lowell said:
Why do you need 3 phase power in your home?

I highly doubt Quebec is "so many years behind the Poland..."

To telling the truth we use 3 phase power occasionally so far - and very rare indeed.

It was planned for 3 phase motors supply, electrical heating system or for electrical welding. The cost was low and bills for that option are low too, so it is no problem for for us to pay some small extra money for that extra power capability.

So 40 kW power supply is no problem for my home (3*400V*35A)

How many homes at Quebec have such powerful power infrastructure ?

Even the oldest house in Poland has 3-phase power brought in.
That is mainly for electric heating on night tariff/cheap/ at 1/3 of day rate usually.
ONLY Now rich Alberta goverment sitting on 11 billlion $ surplus thinks, considers night electricity rates for Calgary.
Speaking about energy efficiency in Canada , pretty distant subject.
MC

Here in the states, it's extremely rare to have 3 phase power in a home. Most do have 220-240v single phase. It's very wasteful to use single phase to run an induction motor compared to 3 phase.

Recently, I've seen inverters that take single phase, convert it to dc, then run it though the equivalent of a brushless motor controller to produce a 3 phase output. For appliance motors, this is much more efficient. These will be very common in the future.

miro13car said:
Even the oldest house in Poland has 3-phase power brought in.
That is mainly for electric heating on night tariff/cheap/ at 1/3 of day rate usually.

The reason why 3-phase power is widely spreaded in Poland is quite different.
The 3-pashe installation cost was very low and most house owners want that for future to supply different 3-phases devices.
Flat owners have mostly single phase instalations as they have no options to choice.

It is sign of life style. In US weapon is widely spreaded across houses. In Poland we have 3-phases power supply instead.

slayer said:
in the bodyshop where i work in quebec we have a 3 phases 550 volts to run the compresor 15 hp motor :D

If you ever get fired, I suppose somebody will be missing a big motor... :lol:

eP said:
It is sign of life style. In US weapon is widely spreaded across houses. In Poland we have 3-phases power supply instead.

It's easier to shoot intruders than it is to electrocute them. :twisted:

fechter said:
eP said:

It's easier to shoot intruders than it is to electrocute them. :twisted:

So try to load your modern battery pack with your gun :wink:

In poor country we have almost no intruders problem.
Gun is not the best solution.

Recent thought read about was, to spin up a flywheel/store some energy over time via low power, then dump this all at once w/large cables, for a "quick" charge.

That *would* "work", for a quick high power charge, no?

Lock

Lock said:
Recent thought read about was, to spin up a flywheel/store some energy over time via low power, then dump this all at once w/large cables, for a "quick" charge.

Lock

That could work but not for light e-bike. Flywheel is too bulky and expensive.
For e-bike users efficient motors and long lasting batteries are much more important than acceleration.

eP said:
Lock said:

Lock

That could work but not for light e-bike. Flywheel is too bulky and expensive.
For e-bike users efficient motors and long lasting batteries are much more important than acceleration.

Funny you mention that since you keep harping on about the 0-10mph performance of the motor current limited controller.

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
I think 'lock' is referring to a large stationary freewheel for home use to build up a storage of energy over time if you only have a small pipe feeding you low amps.

Yup! Home, work, a recharge station on the road, wherever... Same as taking hours to charge a chem battery then releasing that energy in 30 minutes...

Just gotta put these wheels underground for those catastrophic failures...

No chems/metals to wear out/recycle. Like a huge bank of caps, w/out the huge cost. I'd probably go w/a bank of smaller flywheels rather than one huge one, for safety and redundancy.

That's Lock btw, same as my grandfather... no quotes needed :)

Lock

Lock said:
Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
I think 'lock' is referring to a large stationary freewheel for home use to build up a storage of energy over time if you only have a small pipe feeding you low amps.

Yup! Home, work, a recharge station on the road, wherever... Same as taking hours to charge a chem battery then releasing that energy in 30 minutes...

Just gotta put these wheels underground for those catastrophic failures...

No chems/metals to wear out/recycle. Like a huge bank of caps, w/out the huge cost. I'd probably go w/a bank of smaller flywheels rather than one huge one, for safety and redundancy.

That's Lock btw, same as my grandfather... no quotes needed :)

Lock

Grid is much cheaper.

Btw : How many times you want cycles them a day ?

eP said:
Grid is much cheaper.

Obviously, but what else can you do to charge an EV that requires 875A when all you got is a small 200A connection to the grid. It's gonna require some form of off loading.

And yes, you can recharge a battery with a gun.
It's called car-jacking. :lol:

In fact a gun is much more versatile than 3-phase power.
Need oil?
Just show up at whoever's got sum along with a couple hundred thousand of your friends & their guns.

Lock said:

Lock

I prefer the concept of lifting large masses for storage... like houses.

8)

I think perhaps eP gets his attitude and sayings from watching mostly MTV over there...

Back