A simple and inexpensive high current battery tester

Mr. Mik

1 kW
[youtube]l67eCphE-yc[/youtube]

An unused easel (but any old furniture will do!), cables, a relay, a few 30A switches, a 1mOhm 200A shunt, 2 voltmeters, cable-ties, a MOM-ON switch, a battery for the relay, and many 12V 50W (and a few 20W) halogen lights.

It can test at voltages up to 12V (maybe a bit more) and allows to test at currents of approximately 25A, 35A, 45A, 60A, 70A, 80A and 105A. Anyting in-between can be arranged by poking more or less of the hlogen lights into the cables. They have two sharp prongs, just right for the job!

There is lots of space left for additional lamps, and with more relays it would be endlessly extendable.

The video shows testing of a Prius NHW10 stick which has a faulty cell, but still cranks out a lot of amps! The voltage drop is too high, the bad cell heats up more than the others.

Finally, a sensible outlet for that failed artistic streak in me.... :lol:

I believe that this could be the centrepiece for the open-source CBA we discussed somewhere on ES a few months ago.

All you really need to add is data logging DMM's and some sort of switch to turn the relay on and off as a function of battery voltage.

Then write or adapt some program to calculate the "area under the curve" and you get Ah capacity at any discharge current you like.

(Some sort of inrush current limiter would also be good, but it can be done by just turning on the three sets of lights one after the other.)

Nice!
It's not the classic constant-current load normally used for cell/pack testing but the cost is very low and the components are easy for anyone to locate!

And, you could probably BBQ something while discharging with the heat from the lamps. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

CamLight said:
And, you could probably BBQ something while discharging with the heat from the lamps. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'll have to try it out next Saturday!

You definitely have to put the meters in the right spot, or you cannot read them (or anything else for a few minutes afterwards!).

A good excuse to wear shades around the workshop, anyway! :mrgreen:

Back