Cheap Nimh batteries?

fechter

Administrator
Staff member
I finally saw an eBay auction for a used Honda hybrid battery pack. These packs contain 120 'D' sized batteries rated at 6.5Ahr. Buy it now price $165. For that price, even if half the cells were dead, it would be a bargain. These cells can crank out some serious amps too.

Click Here

Shipping would be the killer for me. Somebody around Kansas might be able to pick it up. I'm real tempted, but have no room to store it now. It also appears to contain the electronics that go with it. This should consist of a really hefty dc-dc converter with a 12v output, and the brushless motor controller. When the warranty on my Civic hybrid runs out, I'll want one of these for 'hacking'.

How do you know what type of cells they are using?

I could drive and get this since I'm in the Kansas City area.

Just from what I've read. I have a factory service manual too.
The battery is divided into 7.2v modules as far as I can remember.
I've never seen the insides of the pack (yet).

Those might fit perfectly into your new frame :wink:

fechter said:
I'm real tempted, but have no room to store it now.

Get a roof-rack for your civic. :twisted:

fechter said:
The battery is divided into 7.2v modules as far as I can remember. I've never seen the insides of the pack (yet).

:arrow: Wouldn't those batteries be soldered together?

I'd have to unsolder them all and then figure out how to clean the ends.

The price ends up:

$165 / 120 cells = $1.38 each which would be a good deal...

I can handle 80 cells in the frame and then find alternative locations for the rest of the cells.

I don't know for sure, but I'd assume they're welded. If you snip the connecting strap with a scissors, it makes for easy soldering.

If you just want to pack them in a tube and use compression, then the tabs can be cut off or folded over between cells. Personally, I would solder them or fold the tabs to make a solid connection.

Instead of putting the battery on my roof, it looks like it would fit right over the existing battery in the trunk. The trunk would be smaller, but I could get twice as much power to the electric motor :twisted:

These would be used batteries that came from a car that would likely have been totaled in a wreck I would hope. If they are from 2003 then one wonders how much wear they have on them. They might be in pretty good shape.

It's a very tempting idea... even as a reserve or bonus pack extension it might be nice. I could still get the 80 cells for the frame and have room to bolt these on underneath. It might be nice to just keep them in their original 7.2V packaging.

Topeka is about 100 miles from me (roughly) and so if my truck gets 25 mpg on the freeway it would take 8 gallons of gas which would cost me $24 dollars in transportation costs. If I buy locally I have to pay sales tax, so tack on another $16.

So my price is:

$165 + $24 + $16 = $205 / 120 cells = $1.70 per cell

It would make for an interesting story, " My bike is powered by a hybrid's power pack" - Makes you think in perspective the pack is pretty small if you can cram it on a bike - also xyster & lowell and probably others are running more watt/hrs than this pack - goes to show that Honda should increase thier pack size to keep up with the e-bike!

Here's a very serious problem. Apparently this place does not allow you to pick anything up locally and avoid shipping charges:

http://lkqonline.com/faqs.aspx

Q4. CAN I PAY AT THE LKQ LOCAL PLANT ?

NO, Online purchase must be shipped via UPS or Freight carrier. No pickups at LKQ plants/facilities. We must receive full payment prior to shipment: We accept PayPal or major credit cards (VISA, MASTER CARD, AMEX, or DISCOVER) NO EXCEPTIONS.

So even though I live nearby I couldn't save myself the shipping charges... :roll:

That kinda sucks. Even if you have to pay $75 extra, the price is still good.

Somewhere in the ad it says:

Shipping Info LKQ Shuttle System
Shipping Cost: TBD
Terms: Shipping Cost: $75
Terms: LKQ can transfer this item via our regional shuttle system.

LKQ Corp maintains its own 7 regional (not nationwide) shuttle systems. If you elect to use the shuttle system, we can only transport this item from the location specified in the auction to another LKQ facility that is listed in this auction. You must indicate which city and state location and a day time phone number at time of check out. Transfers on LKQ Shuttle Systems usually take at least 4 to 5 business days after processing your order. Depending on stops it can take over one business week. Sales tax may be applicable. You must provide a LKQ Online authorized Proof of Purchase email at the time of pick up in order for your item to be release. If not presented you will be turned away until you have provided the Proof of Purchase (this is for your purchase protection).

NO WEEKEND PICK UPS

safe said:
Here's a very serious problem. Apparently this place does not allow you to pick anything up locally and avoid shipping charges:

http://lkqonline.com/faqs.aspx

Q4. CAN I PAY AT THE LKQ LOCAL PLANT ?

NO, Online purchase must be shipped via UPS or Freight carrier. No pickups at LKQ plants/facilities. We must receive full payment prior to shipment: We accept PayPal or major credit cards (VISA, MASTER CARD, AMEX, or DISCOVER) NO EXCEPTIONS.

So even though I live nearby I couldn't save myself the shipping charges... :roll:

Yeah, I've encountered those. If you know where it's coming from, then I like to put their own address as the shipping address, then go and pick it up :D

But the bottom line is that you have to cough up $75 no matter what happens. At least it appears this is the case. I wonder if you paid in full for the product and then could somehow get the folks to realize that the $75 makes no sense and you went and picked it up directly. I could imagine one guy saying:

"Oh yeah, no problem..."

...and when you pick it up some other person says:

"Well, those damn guys say the wrong things on the phone all the time. I can't release the product without the $75."

Or something like this... :cry:

I really hate this type of customer service "set up"...

Sounds like he is dropshipping it and does not have the thing in Kansas at all.

Sometimes these sellers avoid paying Ebay fees by putting all their profit margin in a jacked up handling fee which is against ebay policy. This seller has reasonable shipping fees on his smaller items. He does not state the weight of this thing so it's hard to tell if he is committing fraud or not.

Back