Searching circuit plan for battery adjustable cutoff voltag.

Doctorbass

100 GW
I am searching for a circuit that I can use with the watts up meter to cut the output of the battery pack i will measure at the sdafe low voltage limit. I just want to do some experients about battery capacity testing.

I dont want to buy some.. i want to built it but i wonder if someone know a good and simple circuit that cut the voltage of a cell at the preseted limit.

Doc

i am guessing you want to measure capacity but not run the pack dead. easiest thing would be a relay with two sets of contacts configured to latch, then the latch is reset by the low voltage condition. one set of contacts connects the battery to the load through the meter, and the other set is used to latch the relay coil on. some mechanism is then provided to momentarily open the coil circuit clearing the latch when the low voltage point is reached. a dpdt relay will do. you could also use a flip flop and simple spst relay or fet, but this is a good place to use a relay.

it's certainly possible to design a relay system that will drop out at about the right coil voltage; that's how auto voltage regulators used to work; but probably easier and more repeatable to use a comparator or low voltage detector. there are lots of simple low voltage detector ic's or a simple op amp comparator with a regulated voltage and a pot to set one input to the desired trip voltage then the other input is the battery voltage.

a simpler but slightly less accurate circuit would be to use a voltage divider to scale the battery voltage so that it just turns on a transistor above that voltage. then you can use the transistor as the low side of the latching relay coil: at the start of the test you set the latch, and it stays on as long as the transistor is on. when the voltage drops to the level where the transistor turns off the latch is released and the load is removed from the battery.

Thanks alot,

I'm trying that circuit now and it work fine, but i wonder if the hysterisis of the relay can change so that thecutoff point couls change a bit for a test to another.

Thanks for taking time to explain me, I apreciate Bobmcree.

And yes, it's for capacity testing. I want to match cells of my A123 pack that i got free because some cells in the pack was dead, but some was good. I'm using a watts up meter instead of a AA battery powered clock like I seen to measure time instead of watt to nbench the capacity. You probably know what i mean...

I also built a CC-CV power supply to charge the each cells to charge them to the same voltage (stoping at 50mA).

I was very surprized to see that the amount of power these cells can take to charge comparing to the power they give, the ratio is very near 110%!

like 140Wh intput and 134Wh output!.. very efficient charging!
comparing to the SLA that is around 400 to 600% like I reed... <

Doc

the dropout voltage of a typical small relay will vary a bit over temperature, but otherwise should remain fairly constant. if you are relying just on the relay dropout to terminate the test i would limit the hold current to keep the coil temp low.

the old electromechanical voltage regulators used on autos will maintain a pretty accurate voltage setting for years. i would expect your relay dropout to stay within a few hundred millivolts over time, as long as you don't overdrive the coil. this is not really accurate enough to test a single cell, but would be ok for packs.

the watts up is a good way to test capacity. i believe i remember it stores the low voltage so you can record that when you collect the test data.

when testing capacity a light bulb is a good load, as it tends to maintain more constant current than other loads you might use as the voltage changes, giving more repeatable results.

i also highly recommend the west mountain radio battery tester, it cuts off the load when the cutoff voltage is reached and produces nice graphs on a pc. if you test many batteries they are $119 well spent.

have fun with the a123's. i am trying to find the time to play with mine some more.

-bob

Any idea the expected drop-out voltage of a 24V 80A automotive relay?

I'm thinking about using the relay to both engage/disengage a 24V, 7-cell boost pack of A123's, and as the LVC.

24V automotive? 24v high power relays i have used drop out at about 15v and cut in at about 19 but i expect there is a lot of variation.

-bob

bobmcree said:
24V automotive? 24v high power relays i have used drop out at about 15v and cut in at about 19 but i expect there is a lot of variation.

-bob

Thanks, Bob. If mine act even close to that, the relay sounds like a perfect boost-pack LVC solution. Seven a123's in series would cut-out at about 2 volts -- hopefully high enough that, even under a brief 60-amp draw, none would be courting reversal should the pack be somewhat imbalanced; but not so high I'd lose useful boost-pack capacity. Does this sound right to you?

hanks, Bob. If mine act even close to that, the relay sounds like a perfect boost-pack LVC solution. Seven a123's in series would cut-out at about 2 volts -- hopefully high enough that, even under a brief 60-amp draw, none would be courting reversal should the pack be somewhat imbalanced; but not so high I'd lose useful boost-pack capacity. Does this sound right to you?

7 cells will drop out at 20v i think you mean? i am assuming you want to set the relay latch for boost and have it drop out if the a123 string hits low voltage... i would say 21v but if you draw 60A that would be about 20 and would not drop out the relay, but if a cell drops to 0v that would make it 17v and you would like it to drop out there. it might, and you could put diodes or resistance in the coil to tweak it, but i would rather it drop out reliably at 19v when one cell hits 2v or so, and the simplest way to do that is probably to use a zener to turn on a transistor until the voltage drops, it's simple and will be more reliable than relying on the dropout voltage of the relay. if you use a zener voltage of 18v (you could use 3 ea. 6v znrs)and a switching silicon transistor or fet and bias the zener on so it keeps the transistor on until the voltage drops that transistor could hold the relay coil latched. `

Back