Cheap charger for sla?????

tchapin

10 mW
I have a fleet of power wheels jeeps, pukka mini bikes, electric push mower and a couple of weed slap (line trimmers). They all use eather 12 or 18 ah sla batteries in 12v to 24v setups. The one thing they all have in common is junk chargers. Currently I have one each 24v and 12v soneil chargers and have a hard time playing charger tag to keep everything charged up.

Now I have collected 2 small ups units that run off of 12 ah sla battery and 2 bigger ups units that run off of pairs of 12 ah sla batteries (24v). I dumped the batteries out of the units and ran the leads out the bottom and currenty use them to power the gas heating stove blower and tv/dvd player and a light or 2 when we loose power. Running them off of deep cycle boat batteries (we normally only loose power in the winter).

now finally my question.. Are the charging units in these ups's very good and is it worth it to start using them as chargers for the fleet of toys talked about above?

They are UPC 650 and 1100 or 1000. I figure they got to be better than the wall wart that powerwheels and the weed slappers use. I would hope it shuts off better than the pukka charger and don't boil them if i leave it plugged in.

Back