A123 connector plates

jdbauman

1 W
Hi Guys,

I found this video and was wondering if someone can answer some questions.

1. At the very beginning of the video, you can see how Roger clips the batteries onto the bike. It looks like they just slip onto some sort of connector plate. Very easy and convenient. It doesn't look like he made any mods to the batteries at all. Does anyone know what they connector plates are called, and where to buy them? Also, do you know if using this plates will bypass the BMS upon discharge of the batts?

2. How hard would it be to build some sort of a board (or something) where these connector plates are mounted to it, then have a switch that could toggle your battery configuration. For example say setting "A" on the switch puts all 4 batts in parallel. Setting "B" puts you into a 2s2p configuration for more power.

Any ideas? Thanks guys for your input!

JD (I guess I need to come up with a new name since there is already another JD on this board)

You can see the video here:
http://one.revver.com/watch/346548/flv

Hi JD,

My guess is the plates are parts orderd from DeWalt. I do something similar with Ridgid batteries. Jondoh does the same with Milwaukee batteries.

I didn't watch the whole vid (slooow connection), but if the motor is 36V, they may be using the batts in 1S2P. When running stock batts in series, you could blow the FETs in the BMS; which is not bypassed.

I think the A123 users here have all hacked their batts into custom packs, or added taps to bypass the BMS. (At least as far as I can recall, nobody here has posted on using stock DeWalt packs... )

The answer is: that plate is the flashlight plate. people buy on ebay the flashlight that come with the dewalt 36V toolbox and cut the part they only need.

About the A123 pack, i prefer to use only the black plastic cell joiner and i does'nt keep the battery case (black base and yellow top). it's lighter.

Here is one of my two 2p pack:

Back