6 port Ryobi One charger

katou

10 kW
6 charge ports, all capable of 2.4 amp/hr at 18v (or whatever their 18v is actually when you measure a pack)

So, wire up sections of the pack to 18v nominal, then plug them in. Total output would be 108v at 2.5 a.

assume a 54v pack 10 ah split into 3 sections, complete charge in 4hrs

130$ Can at Home Depot.

Hmmm.

Katou

Definitely nice, Now all we need is a liquidation sale on those ryobi 18v lithium packs.

I may be wrong but according to its spec "1 HR CHARGE - Charges each 18V ONE+â„¢ battery, one at a time, in one hour or less." and its power input is only 85 watts which lead me to believe that it charges serially. So if you plug in 6 batteries at a time, it charges 1 at a time. When one is done, it automatically charge the next one and maintain full charge on the first newly charged battery until all 6 are charged. It would take 6 hours to charge 6 battery but 1 at a time. I went to home depot today and saw a ryobi nicad/li-ion 1hr charger for only $30. Their Li-ion is pretty cheap compare to others.

I've been using Ryobi 18v drills (and a few of their other tools) for about 5 years. I've gone to their lithium packs now, using them in the older tools. This battery is quite a bit better than their nicads, which usually don't last a year for me. Like some other manufacturers, they practially give away the tools and make their money on the batteries. I've yet to see a discounted lithium battery from them and they don't have sales at home depot --- unless the item is up for clearance. Don't know how it'd perform on bikes as they don't give specs on the battery anywhere I've found.

DervAtl said:
Don't know how it'd perform on bikes as they don't give specs on the battery anywhere I've found.

Just for reference when I was first building my ebike I tested the various components and stuff with 2 Ryobi Nicads ganged together. Made a good "town and back" runner too. Unsurprisingly doing this for a couple weeks drastically shortened their lifespan. :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

(first image)
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4716#p69844

If the input is 85 watts, I agree with your analysis. And if THAT is correct, the 6 port charger is nearly useless, for it's stated purpose, and our needs.

I'll take a closer look next time in HD.

I'd love to take a NiCd pack (btw, it's been about a year and a half, and mine are dying, so right on schedule) and load it up with Lithium cells. I don't need any more voltage, but double the capacity would be nice.

Yes, I know that wouldn't work, but I'd still like to do it. Maybe remove the BMS and use a balancer occasionally like a bike pack. Still need LVC though, crap.

Katou

You are correct, it is indeed 85 watts input power. If we divide by the 18v nominal of the charger, the amp output is 4.7 amps, which isn't too bad for one pack.

Divided by 6 ports, that is about 0.75 amps each, which kind of stinks. Oh well.

Katou

Back