New lower cost CellLog 8M now available

The dropped the USB function too... so no logging even to a live PC and no firmware updates = (_

I hope they don't discontinue the 8s because that's worth more to me, wonder if they have isolated the trigger output (if it is still there)

-Mike

wow, these might put a lot of BMS makers out of business. That's dirt cheap. I don't even know if I have need for one of these though. Once I get about 10 miles out, I'm about ready to go home anyway. I'd only need one of these if I wanted to ride for 35 miles.

And... still just 8s..... :roll:

Just imagine IF THEY WOULD FINALLY MAKE 16s, 24s or 48s !!

I am a poor investors.. so i can't pay and support for a 1000 unit production like they suggested me for a higher cell number development... :(

Who is willing for investing 10K $ for that project...?

I HAVE A MESSAGE FOR JUNSI :

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING TO PRODUCE THESE HIGHER CELL NUMBER PRODUCTION ???

WE HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY AND BUY ALL THEM JUST WITH THE E_S COMMUNITY !!

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

:|

Doc

Doctorbass said:
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING TO PRODUCE THESE HIGHER CELL NUMBER PRODUCTION ???

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?[/size]

Doc

Because the ES comunity is less than 1% of the RC comunity, which is the group they target for selling products.

liveforphysics said:
Doctorbass said:

Doc

Because the ES comunity is less than 1% of the RC comunity, which is the group they target for selling products.

I agree with you on that Luke.. But I think that this 1% could get alot bigger if we could buy more than 8s version!!!

i'm 101% sure!

Since we are probably 0.001% of the total Crystalyte market.. They still accepted to build custom X5 for us!!.. think about Markcycle, and also the demand for a 5306.. and maybe a 5308 etc...

We also are able to create group buy... so... why not!

We are ALL waiting for a great solution like that...

If they decided now to produce lighter version of the celllog8 like this one, we could take it like an open mind from them?.. probably some RC guys asked for that lighter version..

Doc

liveforphysics said:
Doctorbass said:

Doc

A projected profit is the driving force for them to make one ...and the obvious "greed". Will you just be contended to use puny RC stuff and just wait till something comes up for EV?
So lets ALL email them requesting a 24s to be made. Come on geeksters... remember the power in numbers strategy.

Attachments

• celllog-8_1_002   - 2 copy.jpg
    celllog-8_1_002 - 2 copy.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 2,468
back to the subject of that new version without the software and data recording,
I wonder if you buy the one, with the software at 35 dollars and then the others you buy without the software and just plug it with the software you already have.
http://epbuddy.com/ on that page they have both version... 34.80 and 19.80

We dont ned to use large display and the need to display every cells voltage is not usefull.
(large screen cost more and make it less attractive dur to the area it take on ... "our dashboard")

What we really need is:

-to monitor and display the highest cells voltage 4 digits
-to monitor and display the lowest cells voltage 4 digits
-to monitor and display the Total pack voltage 4 digits
-To monitor and display the Standard Deviation number over all cells of the pack (4 digits)

Standard deviation is a statistic data that is the square root of the variance over all data( ex: cells voltages)

bell_curve.gif

So we would only need 4 numbers on the display

We rarely read all the cells voltages.. and almost we search for the lowest and the highest and the difference over all cells.

Doc

Slayer,

If you enlarge the last photo of the CellLog 8M on the Hobby King site, you'll see that they've got metal blocking the area where the USB connection is on the CellLog 8 Monitor and Logger model. I suspect there's no USB hardware inside the device. (They aren't dumb enough where they'd jeopardize their profits; if you want logging, they want you to buy the more expensive model.) What I'd like to know is if they've added a resistor to take care of the issue of draining cells 7 and 8. There's no excuse for them not to have remedied that flaw since it was brought to their attention fairly quickly by SpeedEBikes.

nwmtnbiker said:
Slayer,

If you enlarge the last photo of the CellLog 8M on the Hobby King site, you'll see that they've got metal blocking the area where the USB connection is on the CellLog 8 Monitor and Logger model. I suspect there's no USB hardware inside the device. (They aren't dumb enough where they'd jeopardize their profits; if you want logging, they want you to buy the more expensive model.) What I'd like to know is if they've added a resistor to take care of the issue of draining cells 7 and 8. There's no excuse for them not to have remedied that flaw since it was brought to their attention fairly quickly by SpeedEBikes.

Yes i understand that they could be thinking like that ...too bad

i know that lots of company when it is time to give better value over other company they would give such feature, but here on small scale like that they can think like that.

I ordered one yesterday to evaluate so I'll be able to answer questions about whether they put in the extra resistor or not. I suspect not as you lose being able to run off just 2 cells I believe. More info when I get the unit.

still logs, just no usb.

fastest and cheapest way to convince junsi would be to send him an anonymous package /w recumpence drive and 3210 motor. i know if one showed up on my door, i'd be the cat that curiousity killed.

j3tch1u,

If that is from Hobby King's site, they probably pasted old data from the CellLog 8S. Here's the description from the US vendor that I bought my CellLog 8S from (EPBuddy), which makes it clear that the 8M doesn't log and doesn't have the USB hardware.

"The 8M is a simplified version of 8S. It works and looks the same as 8S except the lack of logging function. 8M does not have the USB port."

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=27

Mister Rickard made some publicity for the celllog. Watch the last minutes of the most recent show. It's not pretty.

[youtube]0-ehu8DBwHI[/youtube]
Link

I wonder if this is really more of an issue for large EVs with high AH-rated LIFEPO4 batteries? I certainly don't want to have to add 2 Amp fuses to all 8 cells of my little 24V 20AH TS pack. Has anyone who's been running a CellLog 8S on an e-bike had an issue with the wiring harness overheating?

Any short will melt wires, and he mentioned 28 guage in his dialog which is super thin. Although my connector to the CellLog uses 22 g wires they never got warm.

Stories like this sure make you wonder, now i'll keep a closer eye on it.

nwmtnbiker said:
Slayer,

What I'd like to know is if they've added a resistor to take care of the issue of draining cells 7 and 8. There's no excuse for them not to have remedied that flaw since it was brought to their attention fairly quickly by SpeedEBikes.

Just read on RCG that they did NOT resolve this yet in the latest M version. :cry:

recumbent said:
Any short will melt wires, and he mentioned 28 guage in his dialog which is super thin. Although my connector to the CellLog uses 22 g wires they never got warm.

Stories like this sure make you wonder, now i'll keep a closer eye on it.

My guess is the heat must have come from a battery short through the wire. What can happen if the wires are routed poorly is that a sharp corner will cut through the insulation on one or more wires causing a short between cells or between a cell and ground (if you pack does not float from your vehicle ground). Any of these conditions will cause this problem. A simple solution is to use a resistor right at the cell attachment point to limit the current to even a short will not cause a problem. If chosen properly, very little voltage accuracy is lost (use OHMS law to calculate loss across the resistor based on how much current is used to measure the voltage) but you are fully protected in the event on any shorts. It is still possible to cause destruction but usually this results in the resistor burning out rather than the wire heating to the point of burning off all the insulation and causing a fire.

JRP3 said:
Why not just use a fuse?

Good question. What we are protecting here is the wire. Both a fuse and a resistor will protect it. For best protection, the fuse/resistor must be as close to the battery terminal as possible. Depending on your battery configuration, that may not be easily accessible. A fuse can blow (perhaps easily) and thus must be reachable. The resistor (if sized properly) will just heat up, but nothing bad will happen and you do not need to replace it. Of course, if you short wires, your BMS should detect a problem as the voltage *will* be wrong (too high or too low).

Another form of protection is a polyswitch PPTC device (PPTC is a polymeric positive temperature coefficient device). This device allows a specific amount of current and when that is exceeded, it raises its resistance limiting the flow of current. Usually this is used in the output lead of a battery pack to limit current. Typically, their resistance is too high to be useful to protect balancing leads because their resistance affects the measured voltage (you might be able to compensate if you can calibrate your measuring device). Read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resettable_fuse.

If your battery terminals are easily accessible, a fuse can be your friend (carry spares), but if not, a resettable solution or just a resistor might work better for you.

Back