I need to tab weld ALOT of a123 for electric car ..

steveo

100 kW
Hey everyone,

I may be purchasing 600+ a123 cells to be used in my electric car that i hope to have built one day

any suggestions on how i could get these babies tab welded?

I would do it myself if i had the equipment!

killacycle_battery4_640.jpg

-steveo

The only other suggestion I would have: If "one day" means you are years away from building the electric car, and aren't going to need to use this pack in something else before then, I'd wait on buying the cells until you have the rest of the car completed. Unless you are getting a super killer deal on the cells, it would be worth waiting because the cells will chemically age even if they're not cycled, and are kept at "storage" voltage instead of "full" or empty. So the older they get the less capacity they'll have once you do finally get to using them.

If "one day" means months, maybe a year or so, go for it. :)

You are so right Amberwolf, the batteries are the last thing you should buy on a project that big. the super deal on cellls is changing a lot in 6 to 12 months.

Hmmm thats 4.5kwh's not enough for a real car, if they were mine there'd be a motorcycle with a collosus and a goodrum/fetcher bms in the works!

steveo said:
Hey everyone,
I may be purchasing 600+ a123 cells to be used in my electric car that i hope to have built one day
any suggestions on how i could get these babies tab welded?
I would do it myself if i had the equipment!

-steveo
With that many cells, if you're not going to send them out to have someone else weld them, I'd rent a top-o-the-line unit for a short time. The really good units do the job easily and quickly and that will make the cost well worth it.
I think I'd go nuts if I had to do several welds x 600 cells. :mrgreen:

Steveo, A tab welder would be the best.. but it also cost ALOT !!

I have a friend in Montreal that bought his own to make his 2300 A123 cells porshe... :twisted:

But he learned that a single pulse unit is not as good as dual pulse unit!.. but it's too late and he need to deal with his actual single pulse welder... :( .. unless he try modifying it...

I soldered 432 of my Konion cells with strong connections for high current demand... (i'm talking about my mongoose electric bike)

it's a long job i agree.. but it's cheap and wirk well!.. for sure it's not ROHS.. lol.. but it work perfect for me for current up to 230A ( 10c x 23Ah)

so soldering 600 cells can be done i think.. you already have the method i shared with you for the safe cell tab soldering technic so why not?

Doc

Doctorbass said:
Steveo, A tab welder would be the best.. but it also cost ALOT !!

I have a friend in Montreal that bought his own to make his 2300 A123 cells porshe... :twisted:

But he learned that a single pulse unit is not as good as dual pulse unit!.. but it's too late and he need to deal with his actual single pulse welder... :( .. unless he try modifying it...

I soldered 432 of my Konion cells with strong connections for high current demand... (i'm talking about my mongoose electric bike)

it's a long job i agree.. but it's cheap and wirk well!.. for sure it's not ROHS.. lol.. but it work perfect for me for current up to 230A ( 10c x 23Ah)

so soldering 600 cells can be done i think.. you already have the method i shared with you for the safe cell tab soldering technic so why not?

Doc

Hey Doc,

i would not mind soldering cells... however i'm concerned about the lead solder & the flux harming my health with that amount of soldering... i remember doing my a123 pack .. and that was quite the job... i had both windows in my basement to exaust the fumes... but i just don't think i should go this route... imagine soldering rows of 40p of cells!!!! ..... lol ... i hated doing 4p.... even with my 100w solder gun ... it was hard to melt solder .. i needed a little butane flame to get the temp hoter!!

-steveo

SteveO.....forget about your little 100w solder gun.

Go onto Ebay and type in "IRODA solder" and see what comes up.

They make these little butane filled soldering guns which burn the gas in an element located near the tip.

Get the 50w rated version, avoid the 70w rated version.

They really are worth a look.

If you are going ahead with the tab welding then check out the thread in the Technical area. It is around 34 pages long.

Back