oldswamm wrote:Is there a way to distinguish between the term for a high cell voltage monitor digital output, and the voltage across the entire battery.
In this thread HVC seams to stand for the voltage across the entire battery, whereby I thought it stood for 'high voltage-cell'. Apparently this is another acronym that has multiple meanings, which is confusing.
Do we need to come up with a new acronym for the voltages across the high and low cells, which are our real limits with lithium batteries?
Maybe we should start using HCV even though that makes it sound like an analog value rather than digital, and of course then all the BMS and HVC/LVC monitor manufactures would have to change their terms, which they aren't going to do since their outputs mean one cell is high or low.....
I guess I'm going to have to use the more verbose term 'High Voltage-Cell'. Hard to fit on a schematic though....
oldswamm wrote:Any old timers want to weigh in as to what HVC stands for? I did a google search and the closest I found, out of over 50 definitions, was 'high voltage circuit' and 'high voltage capacitor'.
IBScootn wrote: I've been wondering if I shouldn't just build a charger that uses a power resistive load (heating element w/fan or element boiling away water) to limit the current instead of a motor-run cap or SSR
Skippic wrote:Mine is holding up great. I've been using a 70uF motor run capacitor with 3ohm resistors and something like 3000mF electrolytic caps to stabilize the current. For control I used a voltage divider, an Arduino and the TextStar display. The Arduino measurement is far from accurate, so I've been averaging 100k measurements to display the battery voltage. To turn charging on and off I used an SSR:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SSR-25A-Solid-S ... 4ab6626024
Now I'm about to try using a 400uF cap as suggested by Farfle (big thanks):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FUXGZG/ref ... _3p_dp_1_B
In the second charger I'm eliminating the resistors (maybe even the stabilizing caps).
Instead of the Arduino I'll use a much simpler and cheaper solution. My idea is to use a SSR, voltage dividers, voltage detectors and a cheap digital display.
Should be lighter, smaller with less connections and components to fail.
I'm attaching my Arduino code (dirty). I tried attaching the file, but ES didn't like it, so I tried renaming it to .txt, but it didn't help.
Users browsing this forum: RAPHZ400 and 9 guests