Help a noobe out

vintagerider

100 mW
is this the proper way to wire these batteries to 88v 16amp hrs? zippy 8000 6cell88 volt.jpg

That's one way, and it will work. Most of us put pairs of packs into paralell connected pairs, then do the series connections. This works best particularly if you are breaking the packs back into 5s or 6s sections to charge. Half as many series connections to undo then.

ok dogman thanks, i guess i dont fully understand this new drawing i think is only 44.4 volts is there a simple drawing i can copyPublication1.jpg

Bro, very confusing both photo names are the same but they're different circuits. The one in your OP will deliver 88.8v the last one 44.4v.

yes thank you thats what i needed to see, i got to see it to understand it, 8) my old brain just dont work like it used to :oops:

thanks guts also i bought a three speed switch what is it used for and how does it wire in to this drawing?schematic 1.jpg

Personally, I parallel them at cell level using 2->1 balance plugs.

ok i think i got it this time how is this and what does a three speed switch do?revised schematic 1.jpg

That looks good to me. Each pair paralelled black to black red to red. Then each paralell pair connected black to red, leaving one black and one red, which go to the controller.

The three speed switch will simply plug into the appropriate plug in the controller. It will allow use of the controllers pre programed throttle settings.

is there a way of bulk charging without disconnecting anything, i dont know if it is possible but i dont want to open pelican 1300 case everytime i charge!! it will be a very tight fit here is a picture of the case

Attachments

• SAM_0828.JPG
    SAM_0828.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 980
Search out the bulk charging threads. Methods sells some good equipment for it, in for sale new.

I can't or won't try to explain it, since I like the idea that I get to inspect my packs every charge. Wow, that ones hot after the ride! Lets see why. To me it beats, why is the garage on fire?

You can deal with it though, by having each pair of packs plugs on the outside of the case. That would allow charging of each pair at 6s. Use a paralell series harness type setup to make the switch. An internal sensor could give you packs temp, so you can tell when it's going horribly bad in there.

Or get a hyperion 1420i charger. You will require an rc charger for balancing anyway. One power supply + one charger does all (bulk + balance charge), in series (no special harness for series/parallel, disconnecting/reconnecting). And at the price the 1420i is going for (~$130), I feel this is probably the simplest and most cost effective charging solution. As a bonus, the graphing software for monitoring your packs is awesome.

Edit; overlooked the 88v. Ok 2 1420i's :D

ok i broke down and bought one of these Cellpro PowerLab 8 V2 EC5 1344W 40A 8S Charger gonna use 4 car batteries at first to run this, until i can afford a meanwell 24v 1200 watt power supply

Attachments

• PL8EC5-big.jpg
    PL8EC5-big.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 948
Good choice! The PL8 gets great reviews. Probably the best charger available when you take into account power, features and reliability.
If they made a 12s version I would have probably considered one.

Back