foundingpower programmable bms

nechaus

100 kW
http://www.foundingpower.com/en/Products/Smart_BMS/2012042559.html

0 - 5 volt per sell, you set hvc and lvc via software.

they have a few versions, one is 1 to 12 cell and the other one made for an ebike can be 1 to 24 cell
Nice lcd display.
im ordering a sample, will let you know the price soon when i get it

going to cost about $250 usd + shipping for a 18 mosfet 4 - 24 cell 0 - 5 volt programmable hvc and lvc ( with lcd)
good for 120 amps continuous 24/7 80ma cell balancing.

lots of features and functions alot more than my kelly controller.
Im getting 3 of them for each one of my ebikes.
Coupled with a cycle analyst, easy to remove battery packs.
I have finally a good charging solution for myself for Hobby king batteries

IV been using balance chargers for 2 long now. x 2 400 watt 6 s charger and 1kw icharger
I have bulk chargers as well with battery medics that work well to but i always have to manually balance it when i charge.
The BMS can take a 30 amp charge also, not really good for regen brakes but you can wire in a relay perhaps ? but still good for like a 2kw regen, so if your controller can be configured to that.
This bms just does it when it needs to balance and i can set hvc to like 4.18.. i can keep my bike plugged in all the time now

So hopefully the units work as they should

Hi,

I looked into these a few weeks ago.
Sent a few emails and got a response.
I was just a liitle cautious and have done nothing yet. Really I was waiting for a some feedback from someone using one.
Looks like you could be the man.
Looking foward to hearing how they go.

Eddie

Subscribed

Looks great to me,
Where did you find that it can handle 120A ?

Have you already ordered these? Looking forward to hearing about them.

Hi,
I use their BMS for some time, they are not perfect, some protection (BMS unit system protection) are missing, but they work.
I tried to overcurrent their 30a version and with proper cooling it handle 60A continuous and 80A peak.
if someone wants their bms in Europe, I can sell them, I have regular shipment from China (also from foundingpower)

--
Linas

it's another 3 week wait on these bms's

They have alot of pro's

But the con's to me are

- 100 amp /120 amp limit..
-100 ma balancing,, but you do balance 24/7 as the bms is left on 24/7 which is good .( my cells will be perfectly balanced prior to putting it together should be no problems here)

But all the same, ill be happy with these units, i think i might use a relay to get around the 100 amp limit when i need it

Bazaki said:
Looks great to me,
Where did you find that it can handle 120A ?

it might be only 100 amps as i can only find 100 amps on documents.. Maybe peak current ? as the continuous current is meant to be 100 amps

The guy im speaking to told me it was 120 amp, that's why iv been saying it..
Once i get them, ill do a whole video on assembly and review so you guys can see if its worthwhile for your purposes , and i can find out proper specs and details...

Hi,

I've just received one BMS from Linukas, I have a lot of other things to do before so I will test it in about 2 weeks.

I will post some details here and I hope I will be able to reverse-engineering the serial connexion in order to plug a serial to bluetooth module and do datalogging on an Android phone.
Or maybe someone has the serial protocol information ?

Anybody has one working and some pictures?
Thinking of ordering one but want to make sure it's not a waste of money

Any word if they sell low power units I can use just for balancing and disabling my controller?

I think it's dreadfully complicated to pass current through a bms. I'd rather just have it balance the pack, and disable the throttle or ignition wire on the controller during an LVC condition.

auraslip said:
Any word if they sell low power units I can use just for balancing and disabling my controller?

I think it's dreadfully complicated to pass current through a bms. I'd rather just have it balance the pack, and disable the throttle or ignition wire on the controller during an LVC condition.

Agreed.
I have this BMS in 24S 50A version. I am missing couple of A123 to finish my pack but was eager to test it out. On PC software LVC, HVC and other parameters programmed OK. Some cell voltages were nonsense and i guess it is because incomplete battery pack. to be precise, 18S i had wired in and 17th and 18th cells were showing 1.7V and 0.48V accordingly when really they were at 3.32V. Wiring of this BMS is totally different from other ones i have tried. I like it thou cause it has LCD and programming abilities. Came with anderson connector and double 10 gauge wire on output, input. It didn't had black heat sink just bear board. will attach it to my cargo bikes aluminum bottom.

Hi,
I have just started to test this BMS, on a bench with 24 resistors to do as if I had a battery on it.
I took the heat sink (mainly for the look !) and will place a plastic plate in front on to protect it in my scooter.

I sniffed the serial communications (was a little hard to setup the PC) when the software reads the BMS parameters and the communication is very easy to be able to perform datalogging.
I just have a few bytes to decode linked to the current value and battery state, I will post all the infos here.

I will make a few modifications on it:
- Solder wires directly on the Allegro current sensor and remove the anderson-like connectors because they are only rated for 45A and I need 100A
- do not use the discharge power fets but command a relay which turns on/off the controller.
- put a bluetooth module to monitor the cells with an Android phone.

The only thing I have to check is if the integrated power supply can provide the additional 30mA consumption.

For the moment I just played a little bit with it and it looks as good as I thought, but there is something I would like to know:
Is there a way to turn off the screen ? The AutoPowerOff parameter does not seems to work.

Here is the modified BMS, I added a reed relay which consumes only 10mA at 5v.

I measured the current consumption, t's not so bad for this basic design.
- BMS without screen: 8mA
- BMS with screen: 9.1mA
- BMS with screen and relay: 10.4mA

Attachments

• DSCF5159.JPG
    DSCF5159.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 12,025
romelec said:
Here is the modified BMS, I added a reed relay which consumes only 10mA at 5v.

I measured the current consumption, t's not so bad for this basic design.
- BMS without screen: 8mA
- BMS with screen: 9.1mA
- BMS with screen and relay: 10.4mA

Tell us more what the relay does and if possible small walkthrough.

Thanks

I connected the relay between the 5v supply and the discharge mosfet output. The normally opened contact of the relay will be connected to the logic power supply wire of my Kelly controller (uses less than 100mA).

So in normal operation the relay is always energysed and the contact will be cut in case of undervoltage or overcurrent. The controller logic will be unpowered so the motor will stop.

Back