A123 AMP20M1HD-A 3P1S Battery pack kit

agniusm

1 MW
Hi, here me go again. Will be making these kits 3P1S configuration if there be any interest. Cells are for reference and visualization only and not offered with the kit.

components.png

Exploded%2520view.png

Assembled%25203%2520dimmensions.png

Assembled%25202.png

Assembled%25201.png

Assembled 3.3V 60Ah battery would weigh around 1.3kg without case compared to 2.5kg CALB, 2.2kg TS, 2kg GBS.

Thanks for looking and suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'm guessing the 3P is for the motorcycle and car crowd. Very nice and practical. Much cleaner that Jack Rickarts one screwed together with steel parts. Looks good!
otherDoc

Suggestions:

Use oxygen free electronic grade copper for terminals. Sometimes called 101 copper or C11000 in the US.

Is there another design that doesn't involve bending the terminal like that? Bending operation adds cost. In my experience with making copper bars, it takes money and time to make consistent bends.

Are the aluminum blocks in contact with copper terminals? Will there be problems with corrosion due to difference in galvanic series? It depends on the alloys you want to use.

Thanks. What advantage user gets in using oxygen free copper in percents on current through-output? Added cost? There probably are many ways on doing terminals but same cost would be involved. All parts are CNC machined within 0.01mm tolerance. Aluminium blocks do not carry any current, are for clamping tabs and do not touch copper terminals. 6082 T6 alloy is used therefore it has excellent corrosion properties (used as structural material for cranes, bridges, also for bear cans, milk churns etc.)
Cheers

This is a nice building block for large packs. It really does make more sense to parallel all the packs, rather than connect them all in series and then have additional interconnects.

Hey man, what's the status on these guys? Have you produced any? They might work out well for me and I'm wondering if they're an option.

Hi. I have made 2 samples without copper blocks. They are working out at 30USD each and i thought it is little to high for somebody to be interested in. Say you get cells for 20USD a piece thats 60USD + 30 for the kit which makes 90USD per 60AH cell and you still need some sort of casing.
Regards

CALB 60 ah cells are about 83 bucks plus shipping. These are 1-2 C from what I remember. Your A123 60 AH pack is probably 5-10 C, a big difference. Plus quality of A123 seems a good deal better. Knowing the super quality of your kits, I would go with agniusm. I wish I needed a motorcycle but my next kit from you will be a 12S for my wife's bike. You really do world class work!
otherDoc
http://www.evsource.com/tls_lithium_calb.php

Cool Thanks for the update. I agree Doc, still a great quality kit, but I'm on the fence of buying some pre-assembled modules, so we'll see :)

grindz145 said:
Cool Thanks for the update. I agree Doc, still a great quality kit, but I'm on the fence of buying some pre-assembled modules, so we'll see :)

Here seems to be the problem with "preassembled modules" at least from Victpower.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46714

I too had a cell fail and it took about an hour to replace it with an extra I had bought with agniusm's kit battery. Mine didn't puff but would not hold a charge and my LVC kept shutting down early. I would hate to tackle that job with a commercially built battery. Granted I don't have any parallel cells, but the replacement process on his 3P kits is the same. Fairly easy to do.
otherDoc

Yeah, those A123 modules are nice but hearing so many problems with dead cells in them i thought about this approach when you build normal cells at higher capacity and connecting them as you would large format cells like CALB, TS etc. The only difference would be in complexity changing bad cells if any appear comparing to A1233 modules. Disconnect module, disassemble module, swap cell, assemble, put it back. There is no games with straps, awkward laser welded terminals and complexity in sliding in cell in a large pack.

My 24s pack is working great as two 12s packs. I balance charge to 3.59v. no bms and take out no more than 17ah at 30amps with a 2810.
I don't think there are deals on A123 cells as the recycle that are sold now are junk. Maybe the korean cells ? But heard these are older stock ?
I'm happy with them and have a 40amp controller and 3525 to run with it later.
440 cycles 5355 miles. There are a little heavy and big as 24s for a bike but workable.

Back