Lithium Batteries Shipping Rules Discussions

Batteries, Chargers, and Battery Management Systems.
Lash
10 W
10 W

Re: Lithium Batteries Shipping Rules Discussions

Post by Lash » Feb 09, 2016 5:24 pm

Have you tried 'pack n send'? I was looking at them if I was going to arrange something myself. Their website talks about delivery of lithium batteries.

circuit
100 kW
100 kW

Post by circuit » Feb 10, 2016 1:21 am

Unfortunately not available in Germany...
smart and Tiny BMS solution
Visit my blog. Personal projects: Clean Peugeot conversion | Ultralight enduro
Any and all information, such as texts, specifications, drawings or other material that I post are to be used only as a reference for personal, non-commercial projects ONLY. Any republication for personal or commercial needs must be agreed on individually. Use of any information, that I post, for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.

love-ev
1 µW
1 µW

Post by love-ev » Mar 11, 2016 6:46 pm

the best way to ship lithium battery is DG (Dangerous Goods) container by sea under UN3480.

circuit
100 kW
100 kW

Post by circuit » Mar 12, 2016 1:45 am

But what if you have 10 cells to ship?
Any and all information, such as texts, specifications, drawings or other material that I post are to be used only as a reference for personal, non-commercial projects ONLY. Any republication for personal or commercial needs must be agreed on individually. Use of any information, that I post, for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.

Trick
100 µW
100 µW

New rules for shipping lithium.

Post by Trick » Mar 28, 2016 8:54 am

New rules for shipping lithium coming in a few days...

http://www.batterypoweronline.com/main/ ... es-by-air/

http://www.labelmaster.com/lithium-battery-shipping
In February, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) —
the United Nations agency that regulates the transport of dangerous goods aboard aircraft — enacted a ban on transporting standalone lithium ion batteries (UN 3480) as cargo on passenger aircraft. The ban goes into effect April 1, 2016.
Since lithium metal batteries (UN 3090) were already prohibited, the new regulation means no standalone lithium batteries, in any quantity or packaging, may be shipped as cargo on passenger aircraft.

circuit
100 kW
100 kW

Post by circuit » Apr 11, 2016 7:26 am

So has anyone been able to send an ebike battery? I have a battery to send and no one will accept it. 30 cells, 1.5kg...

probably__mike
1 µW
1 µW

Post by probably__mike » Apr 28, 2016 12:42 am

oh fuhhhh I just ordered a 3x battery setup specifically to be able to take it on a plane of max range while traveling! Crap!

Solarpower
100 mW
100 mW

Post by Solarpower » May 28, 2016 4:20 pm

Having a hard time reading and understanding the rules here... :roll: I am sending a 10s6p battery in the mail (not by air). The battery is obviously over 100Wh. Not shipping it with or in any equipment, just the battery... Is this allowed if I pack it regarding to LP 903, mark it as UN 3480, and with the "Lithium ion battery" label? Thanks for any help! :shock:

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » May 28, 2016 5:29 pm

You might need to check with your local post office or shipping company (each might have different (stricter) rules of their own, vs the international ones).

circuit
100 kW
100 kW

Post by circuit » May 29, 2016 1:22 am

My practice is that those companies have absolutely no idea how to ship batteries, even if they do ship dangerous goods. Questions about battery usually spook them off.

Sent from my MI 4i using Tapatalk

Solarpower
100 mW
100 mW

Post by Solarpower » May 29, 2016 2:43 am

circuit wrote:My practice is that those companies have absolutely no idea how to ship batteries, even if they do ship dangerous goods. Questions about battery usually spook them off.

Sent from my MI 4i using Tapatalk
Exactly! I called one of them and had a nice long talk, with a lot of unanswered questions, and they referred me to this another company saying "no problem, they will take them". I then called the other company, and they could not give me a clear answer either... :?

circuit
100 kW
100 kW

Post by circuit » May 29, 2016 3:17 am

That is actually a huge problem. I have talked with probably over 20 companies about this. Even though most of them do dangerous goods, only one company decided to "risk it", and at really high cost.
Just for the record, our batteries are 8 cells and 72Wh, packed in individual encloses as per all strict requirements. But they don't care.
So for now I guess the only way to do it is just send it as power supply, but package and label as required. I mean do it all properly, just don't ask what they think.

Ozzzz
100 W
100 W

Post by Ozzzz » May 29, 2016 10:17 pm

I detect some dodgy dealings. I had the perfect plan, take my bike to USA, buy battery (from a USA vendor), do some touring, bring bike home, send battery home.

I get replies quaffing about air transport rules and regs, boxing and expense. Even when i specifically ask about sea freight options they seem to avoid answers other than No. My freight forwarder said it was ok, Fedex ground and DHL sea freight but i'm weary of the situation where my battery is sitting in their warehouse and when the time comes they then baulk at sending.

We should have a battery exchange (or something) for touring ebikers!

randyc1
100 W
100 W

Post by randyc1 » May 31, 2016 9:33 am

How the hell is a company like EVOLVE SKATEBOARDS with over 500wh batteries shipping their boards around the world ?

circuit
100 kW
100 kW

Post by circuit » May 31, 2016 9:39 am

randyc1 wrote:How the hell is a company like EVOLVE SKATEBOARDS with over 500wh batteries shipping their boards around the world ?
Let me know if anyone finds out.

Solarpower
100 mW
100 mW

Post by Solarpower » Jun 01, 2016 12:39 pm

Took my battery to the local post office the other day, nicely packed in one small box, put inside a bigger box with "over pack" label. Both boxes marked with "lithium ion batteries", nothing else. When I said what it was, the person behind the desk had to take a phone call... Of course :lol: The guy in the other end asked what UN number it was, and I said it was 3480. Sure, no problem, and the package was accepted. From the tracking information I can see that it is on its way :) Will give an update if/when it arrives!

circuit
100 kW
100 kW

Post by circuit » Jun 01, 2016 1:32 pm

Weird. Our post office declared they will not take any kind of batteries, even from cell phone. Keep us updated...

Solarpower
100 mW
100 mW

Post by Solarpower » Jun 03, 2016 6:03 am

The battery was delivered without any questions or problems. Guess I was lucky nobody checked what the contents was?

Geekineer
10 mW
10 mW

Post by Geekineer » Jun 08, 2016 7:26 am

Just tried to order 16 18650 cells from Fastech (Sanyo 3500mahr 3.6V) - when finalizing order, NO, shipping options were available - they were all grayed out. I sent a note to them asking what my options are. Not a lot of hope here to ship batteries from them to US.
Side question - what US suppliers can anyone recommend.
Thanks

Solarpower
100 mW
100 mW

Post by Solarpower » Jun 08, 2016 7:42 am

Wouldn't say I recommend it, but I've never had any problems with shipping batteries from Aliexpress. I guess most of the sellers will send them anyway :D http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-pcs-20 ... 060a8c345f

Geekineer
10 mW
10 mW

Post by Geekineer » Jun 08, 2016 7:46 am

Opportunity here for someone in US to take a boat load of cells and redistribute ???

ejonesss
10 kW
10 kW

Post by ejonesss » Jul 03, 2016 8:39 am

i have not been to these forums in a while and

what is pack n send?

is that where you pack the box and ship at local post office and assume that the question "is there anything dangerous in there" to mean something other than batteries.

i thought the rules was meant to prevent batteries from getting on passenger flights.

freight flights the pilots know there is some hazmat aboard as that is the nature of freight glights
stuff for Even Newer 4 to 24-cell Battery Management System (BMS)
32 lifepo4 cells 16s2p 40138 green cells √
16s2p 40138 based pack built assembled (building electrical equiv to $2000 eonyx system.*

ChargedPlanes
1 µW
1 µW

Post by ChargedPlanes » Dec 18, 2016 3:55 am

Has anyone ever shipped with UPS or Fedex using a dangerous goods contract for <10 cells? I was looking at their requirements and wondering what (if any) surcharge is attached for shipping large quantities of Lithium batteries to other countries.

ecotech
10 mW
10 mW

Post by ecotech » Dec 30, 2016 10:08 am

Well from what I can tell as long as you don't send the batteries as batteries but send them as a package with something else , i.e. a battery charger that has all the batteries attached to it, then you can send it as a battery charger and not as a battery, that's how companies bypass the dangerous goods method which costs a lot, also if you ship via freight most will not care if there are batteries or not inside.

ejonesss
10 kW
10 kW

Post by ejonesss » Dec 31, 2016 11:55 am

does the charger have to be functional?

if not couldnt you just connect some wires to an empty enclosure and make claim it is charger?

ecotech wrote:Well from what I can tell as long as you don't send the batteries as batteries but send them as a package with something else , i.e. a battery charger that has all the batteries attached to it, then you can send it as a battery charger and not as a battery, that's how companies bypass the dangerous goods method which costs a lot, also if you ship via freight most will not care if there are batteries or not inside.
stuff for Even Newer 4 to 24-cell Battery Management System (BMS)
32 lifepo4 cells 16s2p 40138 green cells √
16s2p 40138 based pack built assembled (building electrical equiv to $2000 eonyx system.*