transport friendly Adaptto charger -Eaton 1,8kW in Peli case

madin88

10 MW
The charge mode of Adaptto controllers is a very nice feature because it makes it possible to use one charger (PSU + coil) for many vehicles with different battery configurations.
I decided to use the Eaton APR-48-3G server PSU. Like the name says it has 48v nominal so it should be possible to charge any battery that has above 48V when empty up to 100V. It has a maximum continuous output power of 1800W and it features CC/CV limiting what would mean it also could be used for bulk charging (up to set voltage, maximum is about 58V i believe).

We could place the coil either in the vehicle or at the charger side, but if its placed at vehicle side, its necessary to unplug it everytime when riding - otherwise the controller could get damaged.
This is prone to errors and more cost intensive (we would need to buy a ciol for every single vehicle), so the only wise decision was to put the coil together with the charger into a case - of course as small as possible to keep it transport friendly :)

After disassembling the Eaton PSU and some measurements i decided to use Peli 1170 case as it has the closest dimensions.
I have shot many pics during the conversion so you can see what parts you need and what work exacty i have done on the psu and the case.

parts list:

- Peli 1170 case
- Eaton PSU
- small Adaptto coil
- 3 pcs 63V 1000µF capacitors with maximum 16x31.5mm, i used Panasonic EEUFC1J102U
- 80mm industrial fan (no pulse tachomoter like PC fan have), i used Panasonic ASFN80391
- 4 x 2,5mm² wire (mine is about 1,6m long), i used Helukabel 400092, + rubber bushing
- protective grille for the fan
- power connector IEC
- small connectors for LED connection (6-pole total)
- 6 x 6mm Alu profile (should be strong)
- 8 x 12mm Alu profile
- >270 x >170 x 1.5mm Alu sheet
- lots of M3 x 10mm screws
- 6pcs M4 x 20 plastic screws
- long M4 screw + insulated washer for fixing the coil
- epoxy for metal

i think its complete

thats how it looks:

iEanWr.jpg

Now lets start.

sharped M3 bolts to copy bolt position to peli case bottom:

LVN3Cp.jpg

QzNUsJ.jpg

mount the 6x6 Alu profile to the sides (exactly onto the prejecting parts), drill holes for air outlet etc:

ttcMqs.jpg

0GTDlc.jpg

i4DVZx.jpg

work on the Eaton PSU:
adding wires and one capacitor, small wood plates sticked to bottom as spacers, shorted the board a few mm at output side (to have more space left for the coil) and drilled holes for the wires,
drilled holes to the heatsink and cut M4 into, remove the LED's and add a connector,..

RmLBHv.jpg

QFMxD4.jpg

LATyil.jpg

2rIpxt.jpg

u30whX.jpg

WB2iPm.jpg

qUf3yX.jpg

next the work on the coil:

pull out one wire from the middle and make it look like below. i believe one half turn less will not be a problem :)

78KazZ.jpg

ag0XVd.jpg

AxQoce.jpg

intalling coil and capacitors:

xUsbZA.jpg

soldering wires, add connectors to the wires after to coil, i have added sikaflex (the black stuff, its like silicone) to all larger componetns on the board for better protection against vibrations:

0vlk6L.jpg

aluminum spacers, screws and thermal foil, i have broken a drill two times thats why the spacers have useless holes:

NOTE: the two heatsinks on the left are electrically connected to the board (same potential), the heatsink on the right has also connection but with DIFFERENT POTENTIAL so you need to make sure they do not come in contact. If they do, something will blow! thats why i used the thermal foil two times below and on top of every spacer and plastic screws.

I82kUN.jpg

6DAjJU.jpg

The most time consuming part was the making of the cover and measuring and drilling all those holes exatly to have them at the right postion
For drilling i have placed the sheet on a wood plate - otherwise the sheet would have got bent alot under the force of the large step drill.

the sheet cut into the right size:

ej3oSm.jpg

after bending and drilling it looks like this with mounted parts:

jhCmHT.jpg

gQ1bvC.jpg

this is what i have done with the original Fan grill:
It fits soo nice 8)
btw: did i already mentioned that i had too much time?

HA2P3w.jpg

Brilliant work!!!

thanks guys!
i must say i had plenty of time for hobby, so do not ask how many hours i have total put into this conversion :)

Allex said:
Smart move on making holes on those tabs for attaching the main leads.

i needed to move the PSU as far right as possible to have enough space for the coil and good airflow, so this was the best solution

Now I have been sitting for a while on this Fanless Delta PSU, it has the same size, different form factor, but 2500Watt, 46Amps @ 54,5V
But the thing gets hot, so I need som kind of cooling on it.

Attachments

• EvsD.jpg
    EvsD.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 4,262
nice find Allex
2500W and Fanless sounds awesome and it looks like it also fits into peli 1170^^
whats the price and do you have a link to a spec sheet?

this 1800W PSU also would be great, but with 400USD it's not cheap: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=71139

with our "adaptto chargers" it seems to be the same thing as it is with computer parts: if you buy one you can be sure short time later there will be a better one. bloody damned thing! :lol:

have updated pics and added a list with all parts.

The fan is very silent. It's no comparison to the bugging noise the original two little turbines have made.
where the cover is attached to the heatsink on the left i measured a temperature of 50-55°C at full power. the fan still doesn't operate at full speed so it should not be critical, but as i do not want to someone burn his fingers there i'm going to install an additional heatsink thereon and drill holes between the fins for more airflow.
the coil doesn't get above 45°C and the cover on the right only is warm to touch, so everything OK.

thats the plan for the heatsink:

hIG1Np.jpg

Awesome project. I keep coming back to this thread as I try to figure out what to do with my Eaton.

Can you post any new pictures of the updated heatsink?

Thanks,

-Derek B.

thanks mate :)
no, by now i didn't had time for fabricating a heatsink. as it works well without, there is no hurry to install one.
maybe on hot summer days it will make the fan to spin at full RPM (or 12V), than i will focus on the heatsink, but by now it never did.

Adaptto controllers have a built in charge function which basically works like a step up converter.
Any step up converter needs inductance (and capacitance) thats why the coil (and additional caps) is needed.
For easier handling i installed the coil together with PSU into the case, but it could be placed also near the controller.

Back