[Question] How to test 18650 capcity

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Refer to user DrkAngel's thread here. It should have all the info you need. He's very good about answering questions too.

Good luck, and be careful!

first connect them all in parallel and charge them up to full charge at 4.20V with a big single cell charger. then connect them in series with a watt meter to record the amp hours Ah as you discharge the cells down to 2.70V each. when one cell reaches the 2.7V level then stop and record the Ah on the cell and remove it from the series and then continue the discharge until the next cell hits 2.7V, record Ah, remove the discharged cell, and then continue the discharge of the remainder until you have recorded all of them. write the Ah on the cell so you know how to mix and match them with the others to get a balanced channel for capacity.

discharge into a light or heater. use an auxiliary power source on the watt meter so you do not lose the Ah totals. the watt meter will turn off when you disconnect it from the pack so you need to use the aux power to keep it alive.

I have about 240 cells 18650 form old laptop battery. My question are:

1. Can I use Imax B6 to test the cell capacity in parallel, but how many cells in parallel is the maximum?

2. Where can I get the original Imax B6,and which version? There are tons of FAKE on Ebay!

3. Is there any device (not imax b6) allow me to test capcity precisely fast and cheap?

4. I saw some video using arduino testing cells capacity, but only 2 cells at a time. Can we use arduino test more cells then that? (maybe 4 cells)

My goal is to make 48v 25ah pack to use on my 48v 1000W ebike. With my limited knowledge, I hope you guys help me to finish the project. I'm a student, and I need a bike to go to school. Thank you very much 8)

You cannot check individual cell capacity, or IR, or, voltage, etc...whilst they are connected in parallel.

Precise, fast, cheap, cell tester ??
Pick any 2 of those requirements , and you may find something. But not all three in one ! :wink:

Is this one work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5v-12v-Battery-Capacity-Meter-discharge-Tester-18650-li-ion-lithium-lead-acid-/331562563240?hash=item4d32ab36a8

Where can I purchase the originial imax b6 to charge my lithium pack?
thanks

Back