Recommendation for 72V 25ah pack (commuter)

I think I need a 72V 25AH+ battery. I currently have a 48V 20AH lifepo4 pouch pack which is great for my 40mi commute (round trip), but I find myself wanting more. :)

Perhaps a kind soul could steer me in the right direction.

I bought a C7225-NC (36V-72V, 25A) controller from ebikes.ca a while back so I'd have a wide variety of battery pack options available with my KMX trike, and I'll likely using this pack with a 20" MAC 7T. I'd like to be able to do 25mph+ on the flats, so 72V seems like it would be plenty. Is it possible to do this pack for under $1000usd and not use lipo? I'm not ruling out lipo altogether... What would you do?

EDIT:
I'm not expecting to buy a ready-made pack for under $1k, in case there was any question...

If it's any consideration, my new 72v 15ah liion pack 18650's from ex-battery.com is lighter and more powerful than my 48v 15ah lifepo4 pack from 26650's. Their build quality is great and can customize pack as modules for mounting purposes.

r3volved said:
If it's any consideration, my new 72v 15ah liion pack 18650's from ex-battery.com is lighter and more powerful than my 48v 15ah lifepo4 pack from 26650's. Their build quality is great and can customize pack as modules for mounting purposes.

Interesting, thanks for the info!

dnmun said:
why not buy another 8S from the sunthing guy and make it to 24S with a 24S D131 BMS?

That would probably be the most cost effective if its feasible. So even if my current pack has some wear on it, I could stick them on the same BMS?

EDIT:
I didn't get the original battery from sun-thing, but they look close on the outside...

it would be best if one of those guys who threw their battery away would have saved them for you.

i bet your current pouches have more than 20Ah too. but i see you said that you did not get the pack from sun thing guy. i doubt if you could do a precise capacity measurement. maybe the pack you bot was not the 25Ah pack.

if you never over discharged the current pack then they should have almost the same internal resistance so they should charge up together but if you charge to full voltage then the BMS should force them to balance.

i think you could use some ping pouches to make the extra 8S 25Ah if you wanna. they are all about the same. so maybe watch for a 48V 15Ah ping pack that has some dead pouches that someone is selling. or just ask sun-thing guy how much to sell you the 8S 25Ah. he may even have the battery that guy sent back except that was a long time ago. tell him we are watching him so he should do it for public relations. cheap.

dnmun said:
or just ask sun-thing guy how much to sell you the 8S 25Ah. he may even have the battery that guy sent back except that was a long time ago. tell him we are watching him so he should do it for public relations. cheap.

Haha, no doubt!

Hmmm: http://www.ebayitem.com/131549442996

Man, maybe I should just double my pack... I'll need a new controller, but maybe this is where I'm headed anyways...

I took the plunge and got another 48V 25AH from Sunthing. [fingers crossed!]

I'll be sure to open this up (all the way) when I receive it - as well as posting the photos here.

Back