Combining two types of 18650?

shoebaker

1 mW
Ive seen posts about combining different battery technology, but what about different types of 18650?

It might be fun to have a high discharge pack that is always in the bike and I can use on its own for short trips and when I want range I add in a high capacity pack.

E.G. Desired 120A max continuous.
pack 1 20S5P LG HB(2-4) 1500mA 30A max draw per cell

pack 2 20S5P NCR18650GA 3500(3300) 10A max draw per cell

1. How would this behave in reality? I would think when accelerating the higher resistance pack 2 voltage would drop allowing pack 1 to deliver most of the power but when cruising pack 2 would take over(Auto balancing). Would it over discharge pack 2?
2. Would they tend to charge each other when changing from zero to max throttle? Increased battery wear?
3. Am I just being cheap and should make two completely separate batteries?

Battery info from: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...ngs-picking-a-safe-battery-to-vape-with.7447/

The problem I see is. You take a burst ride around the block with the LG pack. So LG pack is at lets say 78V and then you add NCR at 84V that will be bad for the cells.
I say just go for a MJ1 12P? cell pack and be done :) Or 30Q? :mrgreen:

Not a good idea to have 2 different types of cells running on the same bike. The only real safe/good solution would be to have a switch or something where you switch on one pack and switch the other off and only run 1 pack at a time. Basically, some cells will have lower internal resistance than others and the capacity levels will be different and you are just asking for problems by mixing them.

Some people on these forums run a random selection of used laptop pull 18650 cells in the same pack. This is also highly frowned upon by the Li-ion industry and can be incredibly dangerous.

Back