new NOVA special called “Search for the Superbattery.”

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Premieres this Wednesday night at 9 p.m. on PBS. Seen here:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclu...ry-that-holds-2x-as-much-power-202145984.html

98db568bebbf513fcae585e8ac567a2d

I hope this one is not vaporware. If it's not, are the creators in it to become billionaires or just millionaires. Meaning is this new battery going to be affordable or just another one for people with a lot of disposable income. The way I see things going, it might the latter. Or maybe someone will buy the tech and bury it... in a hole... like a big one. Like a gigahole. :lol:

I can tell you whats super depressing for me and its zinc chloride primary battery's In various form factors that litter the pound shops with their 100+ year old tech, They seem to be made to a China level of quality so they leak in the remote or what evers its used in and leave a ton of corrosion, I'll be glad when the days of primary batterys have met their maker and every cells is secondary and safe in the dumbest of hands which is a very tall order but within our grasp if money is pushed at it.

Reclaim from https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/17..._the_Super_Battery_720p_x264_AAC_HDTV_MVGroup

Don't think you'll miss much by missing. While its OK Nova material, there really was not anything revolutionary, e.g., "supper-battery" related. More of an intro for a large viewing audience that does not know a lot about batteries. Some of the "how it works" segments were really well done, like how a flow battery works.

... and now somebuddy has posted to YT:
[youtube]pCDuM_apIg8[/youtube]

That saltwater battery sounded cool for offgrid storage, until I looked up the cost. I'm seeing 2Kwhr batteries for $1000 USD.

I can get 2Kwhr of new brand name Li-ion for $400-500. And they said their salt water battery was cheaper.... what a joke.

Too bad nasa tech like microwaves and tang don't filter down to us for energy storage etc. They seem to have solar batteries and fuel cells well figured out for all that shit floating around for years out of the protection of our atmosphere with ridiculous lifespans and nary a comprehensive problem. Not to mention human lifesupport/jeeps on the moon 40 effin years ago . . .

nutspecial said:
Too bad nasa tech like microwaves and tang don't filter down to us for energy storage etc. They seem to have solar batteries and fuel cells well figured out for all that shit floating around for years out of the protection of our atmosphere with ridiculous lifespans and nary a comprehensive problem. Not to mention human lifesupport/jeeps on the moon 40 effin years ago . . .

NASA has used and tested 18650's for years, and used them in some satellites/projects. They use a very low DOD so in some cases they can get over 50,000 cycles from the same 18650's available to us all.

It's the part about being in an infinite vacuum while susceptible to full sun and shade I find interesting, as well as the power requirements and lack of normal maintenance these complex machines and systems would need to do as claimed.

Where the 'aerospace' (national air, jpl) crosses over into biotech, general science, and 'defense' though, it would only be natural and I think it's evidenced there is significant advancement. But yeah, there's no evidence I've seen that they've used anything but contemporary tech over the last 60 years of 'space' part of their mission statement, which is where my facetiousness stems from.

I know the cells they used on Voyager where nuclear https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator

18650 would not perform better in space than earth in anyway, if pressure drops around the cell so cycled in a vacuum they lose longevity, cell that live at sea level live longer than those 1000 of feet higher and the temperature extremes mean it would be useless in the shade very little chemical reaction will take place so there will be very little exchange in electrons rendering the cell useless, direct sunlight would cause a thermal runaway and then you got all the dangerous rays and particles.
It would have to be contained in a pressure vessel with temp regulation that then may increase life span because its always in its happy zone, I suppose the current drains would be ultra low too helping longevity, but for 50000 cycles that's an amazing quality cell I can not see any of the current crop of 18650 pulling this off even if in controlled environments and pampered if the cell was cycled 10 times a day that would still be 14 years longevity.

From what I'm reading NASA has used nicad cells along with solar cells for a majority of the older satellites, but saft does have a cell that states 100,000 cycles to dod that's bonkers with 15 years earth longevity and 10 years in space but obviously these are not consumer grade products due to pop up in EV's any time soon. http://www.saftbatteries.com/battery-search/ves-vl-batteries-satellites

Back