diode ratings

ejonesss

10 kW
i see on ebay a 3 phase rectifier diode block that is rated 50 amp at 1000 volt

i was wondering if diodes are like other electrical where their rating is because of their typical application for example you may have wire rated for 10 amp at 600 volt but if you are using lower voltage like say 12 could you put 20 or 30 amp in the wire.

i am looking to build a power supply to power a hobby charger and i was going to be using a large transformer pulled from an old ups because the high current side uses i think 8 or 6 awg wire and the high voltage side that goes to the outlets uses 10 awg wire.

a test shows that the low voltage side that connects to the inverter board puts out 20 volts and i think that would work and since i would be putting 24 volts into a 50 amp 1000 volt rectifier i should be able to pull more than 50 amp through the diodes if the electrical trade off with amps and voltage is true for diodes too.

also i would be paralleling the diodes and configuring them to form a voltage doubler and why i would choose 3 phase is because i can parallel the diodes for more current ability.

i was wondering if

1. can diodes be paralleled for more current.

2. is the electrical trade off true for solid state stuff like diodes and transistors.

Back