Your DIY battery weight survey

agniusm

1 MW
So, basically looking for info on diy battery builds. Require capacity in wh and and weight of finiched battery. If you have wh/l would be good too. Much appreciated.

Lots of possible reasons; a few below:

Maybe they all just want to know why you want to know? :)

Or maybe they're looking for a survey to be in Polls and Surveys? :wink:

Or maybe you just haven't waited long enough for people to see the thread and reply? :?:

1. I would like to get a broader view on the size, weight of diy batteries to compare to my kit and see where it stands.
2. I actually didn't know there was section for surveys and pulls :O
3. Probably you are correct on the last one, just thougt it is basic stuff that each builder knows but was expecting everyone to jump in right away. I need to calm myself down ;)

agniusm said:
1. I would like to get a broader view on the size, weight of diy batteries to compare to my kit and see where it stands.
Then you might want to be much more specific, and ask for details on only DIY batteries that are built of the same general type of cells/parts yours are, or else it isn't really much of a comparison.

For instance, I have DIY batteries made from EIG pouch cells, so they are not made anything like your 18650 packs are. If you're still interested even though they're different, I can weigh the packs and post the info up.

Other people have packs made from other kinds of cells, some of them pouch, some prismatic, some cylindrical, etc.

I got a 4.2kWh battery. I am not taking it outbof my scooter to weigh it. But it should be a hair under 20kg.

I have a 3.5 KWH pack that weighs 31 lbs (14 KG)

But since the cells don't really output 3500 MAH, more like 3350 when new, it is really a 3.3KWH pack.

my diy pack is actually a toolpack battery from our garden centre in the UK. a Macalister pack. They are 36v pack, made of 20 18650 cells. Rated at 2.6ah I used 4 of them on Saturday to complete the "diggle jiggle" with my Husky and a couple of friends. Next time I have my hernia fixed and will do it on a non-electric bike as my friends were giving me a lot of stick for the motor and the dog.

Anyway I have a plastic printed holder which is underslung on the downtube and allows me to hot swap the packs. I am finding this pretty convenient. I like the form factor of it, There isn't much wasted space or extra weight since they are plastic shells. Plus now I have the design down for the battery I can print more to allow all my bikes to use the same batteries.

In the future I may re-cell them with higher capacity as I wont need to buy new chargers either. I've a couple of dead packs that I bought that way for experimentation.

I really like your NESE idea, I hope it takes off. I may use the old but not dead cells in your packs in a second life scenario not on the bike.

Theses packs also come in a 4ah variety which I believe is just different cells inside so I am guessing its a safe bet to just replace the old cells with better ones in the future.

Sorry for the long post, hope some of that was helpful.

Replaced 16lb 24V 10Ah (4-5Ah usable~100Wh) SLA eZip battery pack with 5lb 25.9V 10Ah (10Ah usable 259Wh) LiPo.
In same RMB battery shell.

file.php

Also went as high as 33.3V 32Ah (1065.6Wh >1kWh of 18650 cells) in same shell @ ~12lb.

file.php

Back