Li ion BMS 16/20 S 50 A with Bluetooth controll via app

lukas999

10 W
Hey Guys

any one of You use this?

https://bmsbattery.com/bmspcm/834-smart-bms-10s13s-60a-with-blue-tooth-android-or-ios-app.html

any opinions ?

looks like You can adjust charge voltage for ex to 4,15 V per cell

Let me know please

Thanks

Lucas

I just got this BMS working on my latest 18-cell e-bike. The cell voltage calibration appears very good as they individually QA check each item before they send it out.

Bluetooth connectivity worked fairly well but there doesn't appear to be any security code so possibly anyone can connect within range that has the "xiaoxiang" app. The Android app appears to have basic functionality working. I really like the accurate live monitoring of each of my bike's 18 cells along with its accurate amp reading.

Problems/Cons:
  1. Can't find way to limit charge cutoff to an arbitrary voltage. I often go for shorter rides and would like to set even lower cutoffs like 3.90V or 4.00V.
  2. App has a timer value to set charge cutoff by a time duration but that doesn't get accepted by the controller so the timer cutoff is not really working
  3. No Amp-Hour count during charging or discharging. This is such a simple statistic to compute so its curious its not included.
  4. The "dashboard" should be customizable as there's information I would prefer to see rather than their default dashboard

I'm still relatively new to this BMS so if anyone knows how to accomplish the above, it'd be appreciated.

Another problem is their app version management appears to be off. The website lists download of the APP with this specified version:

Smart BMS Android APP V2.1.1006

But when the app is installed, it is actually V2.1.1005 which doesn't inspire confidence in their software management.

Form the sound of things, if these can actually handle 50A, the app works for the most part, and it successfully manages your batteries (balances correctly, high/low cutoff, etc)... that is a damn good price. I'd be skeptical at that price if I was trying to run anything close to 50A... but you never know. I've been looking for a good smart BMS with adjustable high/low voltage cutoffs, and adjustable balance voltage... everything else would just be a bonus (again, a quality BMS that handles everything it's supposed to correctly, that is reliable for at least as long as the batteries in the pack are viable to use). I grabbed a few bestechpower BMS's recently... I honestly could not get a recommendation for any other BMS from anyone, it was them, or a no name chinese crap shoot... but they did not have any smart BMSes in stock, and I was told an extremely high price for them when they did come back in stock (though it was a ballpark... but still close to 4 times the price of one of these).

I did buy a Cycle Satiator, so it can handle setting the max charge voltage, etc... but I would prefer having a BMS where I could select exactly what want (adjust quickly for the occasional trip outside of my normal ones), and just not have to worry, and not have to depend on a $300 charger to be able to charge to 80%-90% normally.

Keep us updated on your experience... I am tempted to grab one just to try it out at this price.

Yes, I'm not too confident of the 50A discharge rating either. I only connected this BMS for charge side input and not discharge. My e-bike can also pull well over 50A was the other reason.

I think I found a way to get this BMS to cut off the charge at an arbitrary voltage. The "Overvoltage" parameter defaults to 4.25V and is adjustable. I was able to set it to 4.20V and observe the BMS cut off the charge during a full charge test. I will conduct some tests with this parameter using much lower values like 4.00V, 3.90V, and 3.85V. I know the 3.85V value will be important for me to simulate a "storage charge" so I can let the charge run on its own instead of checking in on it all the time.

UPDATE: There are issues with the "Overvoltage" parameter. It only accepts at minimal 4.00V so its use is limited. :x

to limit the voltage of the charge you turn down the CHARGERS voltage. not the BMS.
the BMS is there to PROTECT the battery from abnormal states. everything else, for normal working conditions is handled by the charger and controller (or maybe cycle analyst or similar if you have one).

i found that those BMS have a quite high standby current of around 0.6mA which leads to a relatively fast discharge of the battery. small packs go from full to empty within half a year!
if you charge your pack every day, that's no big deal, but if you charge it to storage voltage, and put it on the shelf over the winter month your brand new pack could be completely dead at spring time.

izeman said:
...but if you charge it to storage voltage, and put it on the shelf over the winter month your brand new pack could be completely dead at spring time.

Meh, no man. Storing standard li-ion for a few months at storage voltage should be nooo problem with a good pack.

I have this bms in a 14s5p shark pack GA cells

Left at 3.77 volts and after I think 8 months its been the cells are all still at that level so something is wrong with your pack maybe cheap cells or heat damaged?

no. cells are brand new. genuine samsung 30Q.
the cells are not self discharging. i have two identical packs. one got the BMS connected for testing. the other sits on the shelf. it's voltages are all still the same as a month ago.
but the BT BMS drains the battery. seems to be some setting that keeps the BT module powered and drains the battery too fast.
i'm not the only one with this issue.
what type do you have? 16s+? i've got a 15s. they have a little different pcb. so they may behave differently.
do you have the BT module connected all the time?

izeman said:
no. cells are brand new. genuine samsung 30Q.
the cells are not self discharging. i have two identical packs. one got the BMS connected for testing. the other sits on the shelf. it's voltages are all still the same as a month ago.
but the BT BMS drains the battery. seems to be some setting that keeps the BT module powered and drains the battery too fast.
i'm not the only one with this issue.
what type do you have? 16s+? i've got a 15s. they have a little different pcb. so they may behave differently.
do you have the BT module connected all the time?

Hi,
sorry I thought you meant discharge of bare cells in storage. I dont have any knowledge about this BMS and the presumed vampire drain. :roll:

Back