Ampacity of NIBs enough to connect 18650 in series ?

qwerkus

10 kW
Hello,

I've seen some interesting setups in this forum using round 12x3mm N35-N50 Neodymium Magnets (NIBs) to hold copper bus onto 18650 cells in classic row/column S P setups, but I wonder if NIBs are conductive enough to directly connect 18650 in series: [+ 18650 -] NIB [+ 18650] - NIB and so on. I know that heating up the NIBs would kill their magnetic force so one has to be sure the magnets can carry enough current before fitting a whole 13S pack with NIBs.

According to This, the electrical conductivity of NIBs is 0.66, which is still 3 times higher than nickel. Even if the NIBs are nickel plated for corrosion resistance, the sheer volume seems to be enough. And than there is always a possibility of clamping a thin copper strip (0.1mm) around the NIB, but this would seriously impair the magnetic force, which means thicker magnets etc. I'm looking for the simplest why to connect 2x 18650 in series, up to 10A and 1 or 2mm NIBs seem very promising.

Can anyone who actually tried it give me some feedback on this ?

Thank you very much,

This thread starts with that idea; if you havent' seen it:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60517
I dont' know if it has the info you're after.

Yea, I read that one. Many good tips about clamping bus wires (copper/nickel/alu) onto cells - but not so much on using nibs in serial connection.

Back