I bought the cheapest 48V 10+Ah battery on Aliexpress

dogfather

1 µW
Like the title says, I bought the cheapest 48V 10+ Ah battery for e-bikes that wasn't obviously a scam - more specifically this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-customs-duty-48V-13Ah-lithium-ion-bottle-water-kettle-battery-ebike-battery-For-Bafang-BBS02/32680168866.html . I was fully expecting it not to be 13 full Ah - for the price I would have settled for 11-12. As it turns out, the battery arrived in one piece, I hooked it up and everything works fine. What I didn't really notice or think about until now (several weeks later), however, is that the charger, though labeled 54.6V is actually only charging at 52V. Moreover, the battery seems to be set to 52V max - because there is a 5-diode push button battery meter on it, and it lights up fully when the charger stops.

The way I see it, one out of four things here are wrong:
1. The charger is busted/misconfigured somehow - it's really a 54.6V charger but broken/incorrectly set, the battery is fine and will charge to 54.6V
2. The charger is designed as a 52V charger and mislabeled as 54.6V for whatever reason, the battery is fine and will charge to 54.6V
3. The battery is a scam - it's something like a 12s of 4.3V cells and will only do 52V without exploding
4. I have no idea what I'm talking about and some 48V batteries should legitimately only be charged to 52V for some reason

What do you guys think, and is there an easy way to find out apart from fully disassembling the battery and counting the cells? I opened the lid and peered into it, the only easily visible thing was a sticker that said 48V on the inside. Seems very nicely built too, everything very clean inside and well insulated/wrapped. Guess I should also say that whatever scam Zone Green Power are running, if any, is a pretty clever one - because after all, my "48V" motor runs perfectly fine for the first estimated 400 Wh and it seems it may be possible to squeeze 600+ Wh out of the battery if you go real easy on the throttle for the last 100. I'm sure most buyers wouldn't know any better.

Most important how much you weigh what controller are you using what app demand does it have on your battery and are you riding on the flats or hills ?

Some chargers have internal trimpots to adjust output voltage, you could check on that.

Enviado de meu Redmi 3S usando Tapatalk

999zip999 said:
Most important how much you weigh what controller are you using what app demand does it have on your battery and are you riding on the flats or hills ?

Does any of that matter? The battery shows 52v across the terminals after the charger turns off, and the BBSHD display also says 52v. That's been the case from the first time it was plugged in. For the record though, I'm 80 kg and riding "hilly city" type conditions, think San Francisco.

dogfather said:
What I didn't really notice or think about until now (several weeks later), however, is that the charger, though labeled 54.6V is actually only charging at 52V.
The vendor page doesn't say how many series cell groups it has, but if it is only 13s, then 54.6v makes sense.

If it's only charging to 52v max, then it isn't fully charging the cells. If it's 13s, then if it's well-balanced, that's only 4v/cell. To fill the cells, to 4.2v/cell, it has to have the full 54.6v.

It could also be that a cell group or groups is/are not balanced, and/or is/are not fully charging, so the BMS is shutting off charge before the pack reaches full voltage, as the low cell groups haven't caught up. This means the BMS has to drain down all the "full" cells a little bit at a time, then let recharging start again, take in a little charge on all cells, shut off, drain full cells a little, and repeat the cycle for hours or days or weeks until all cells are at the same voltage.

FWIW, the meter on the pack may well show "full" even when it is not *completely* full, depending on how it is calibrated. They might use the same meter on a bunch of types of packs, so a 12s version used on 13s would show full even when it's not nearly so.

Unfortunately the only way to find out (since I wouldn't trust a vendor to be correct, even if they were not inclined to lie) is to open up the pack and count the cell groups, and to measure every group's voltage, so you can see if it's actually a 13s pack and if the cells are balanced.

If those are both true, then there's something with the charger, and it might have internal adjustments to fix it, or it might just be broken.

Scrolling down the page and it clearly states 65 cell/13s battery and 54.6v max charge, either the charge is wrongly calibrated and just needs a correct charger. Often the basic 2a plastic case chargers don't have a voltage trim port.

Strange that the page does not say that for me. The entire text on the page I see is below (I did a select-all, copy, and paste), and I see no images that contain the info, either. So the page must display differently either at different times or in different browsers, etc.

Buyer Protection
Help
Save big on our app!
CATEGORIAS
AliExpress
Cart
Wish List
Sign in|Join
My AliExpress
All Categories
Store:
Zone Green Power Co., Ltd
Open:4 year(s)
Follow
Home > All Categories > Sports & Entertainment > Cycling > Electric Bicycle Part > Electric Bicycle Battery
Free customs duty 48V 13Ah lithium ion bottle water kettle battery ebike battery For Bafang BBS02 750W BBS03 BBSHD 48V 1000W
Rated 4.7/5 based on 31 customer reviews 4.7 (31 votes)
33 orders
Price:
US $269.00 / piece

Color:

Silver
Black

Shipping:
Please select the country you want to ship from

Quantity:

piece

Total Price:

Buy NowAdd to Cart Add to Wish List

Return Policy
Returns accepted if product not as described, buyer pays return shipping fee; or keep the product & agree refund with seller. View details

Seller Guarantees:
On-time Delivery
days

Free customs duty 48V 13Ah lithium ion bottle water kettle battery ebike battery For Bafang BBS02 750W BBS03 BBSHD 48V 1000W
Mouse over to zoom in

Product Details
Feedback (31)
Shipping & Payment
Seller Guarantees

Report item
Item specifics

Capacity: 10 - 20Ah
Voltage: 48v
Type: Lithium Battery
certificates: CE,FCC, SGS, RoHS, UL
voltage: 48V
capacity:: 13Ah
application: 48V 750W 1000W mid-drive crank motor
Size: D95*L430mm
Cell: Brand cell
Color: Black or White
Bms: Build-in
Charger: Included
Warranty: 1 year

Product Description
Packaging Details

Unit Type: piece
Package Weight: 5.0kg (11.02lb.)
Package Size: 40cm x 20cm x 16cm (15.75in x 7.87in x 6.30in)

More Products

Sold By
Zone Green Power Co., Ltd
China

Open: 4 year(s)
Visit Store
Follow
Contact Seller
Contact Now

Help
Customer Service, Disputes & Reports, Making Payment, Delivery Options, Buyer Protection, New User Guide, Report IPR infringement

AliExpress Multi-Language Sites
Russian, Portuguese, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Dutch, Turkish, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Arabic, Hebrew, Polish

Browse by Category
All Popular, Product, Promotion, Low Price, Great Value, Retail, Reviews, China Brands

Alibaba Group
Alibaba Group Website, AliExpress, Alimama, Alipay, Fliggy, Alibaba Cloud, Alibaba International, AliTelecom, DingTalk, Juhuasuan, Taobao Markertplace, Tmall, Xiami, YunOS, 1688

Google PlayApp Store
Privacy Policy - Terms of Use - Law Enforcement Compliance Guide © 2010-2017 AliExpress.com. All rights reserved.

Batteries are rated for their use. If you use a small battery when it needs a big battery the small battery will always wear out and trip and shut off get out of balance and Break.
So a battery must match your demands. A great 10ah will work a shitty 10ah will not. EZ
1st contact vendor. Get the real spec on battery so we have no doubt what your charger needs to be set at. No guessing. Just the facts

amberwolf said:
It could also be that a cell group or groups is/are not balanced, and/or is/are not fully charging, so the BMS is shutting off charge before the pack reaches full voltage, as the low cell groups haven't caught up. This means the BMS has to drain down all the "full" cells a little bit at a time, then let recharging start again, take in a little charge on all cells, shut off, drain full cells a little, and repeat the cycle for hours or days or weeks until all cells are at the same voltage.
So dogfather could leave the pack on the charger for several days and see if the pack voltage gets better. Also, was the charger's voltage actually measured or only assumed.

Back