Battery suggestion? (feedback on luna?)

My current battery has been in the 'shop' for about 4 months in Toronto (they put in fake Chinese cells and they failed quickly). Not sure when I am getting it back and I am thinking of buying a spare/backup battery.

Current bike uses Anderson connectors.

I am thinking of maybe buying this:
https://lunacycle.com/48v-pansonic-ga-17-5ah-black-killer-whale-ebike-pack-huge-range/

Questions:
1# Is lunacycle generally respected for good support, warranty and actually selling genuine panasonic batteries as advertised? This seems like decent deals but there website is janky, making me nervous.
2# I figure connection some anderson connectors is the best bet to go as that is my current setup?
3# Any other good suggestions? Seems BMSbatteries (from china) is only slightly cheaper.

I like the idea of getting water bottle design so when I get my rear rack battery back I could in thoery have two mounted on my bike.

2# I figure connection some anderson connectors is the best bet to go as that is my current setup?
If it's already what you've got, go with it. But "best" is relative, and depends on usage, power levels, weather-resistance needed, etc.

3# Any other good suggestions?
http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/battery-kits.html

Chris456345234 said:
1# Is lunacycle generally respected for good support, warranty and actually selling genuine panasonic batteries as advertised? .
Varying opinions on the company. Without flame wars starting in your thread, I can only suggest reading the forums for everything about them, some of which is in this list
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=Luna*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
and other threads where Luna's owner has posted:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=15068
(if you see a "post history" link in a post in one of htese threads, I recommend clicking it and reading all available versions of the post(s)).

Seems BMSbatteries (from china) is only slightly cheaper.
That's another one you'd want to read around the forum about, where opinion is divided.

Or... you can keep your pack and replace the cells, someone up past Orangeville has lg hg2 cells @4 a piece, you could simply replace the cells in your existing pack. He builds powerbricks but also custom builds. Way easier than importing from the US. For the record I have ordered twice from Luna and there quick and reliable but add some money on for delivery ad courier fees and custom fees. The price suddenly goes up fast.
For connectors have a quick read, Anderson’s are generally poor choices if your unplugging a lot, if your leaving the battery connected there cheap and reliable. XT90 is a little more durable if you are charging off the bike and cheap to swap over. Also have an anti spark connector which is nice to have. Nothing an 80w soldering iron couldn’t sort out in 2 minutes.
Also ebikes.ca is in Mississauga, great to deal with, no export duty’s and is the forum
Sponsor, it’s probably the best place to look in Ontario.

Your right, I had a dumb moment, they are in Vancouver, I’m thinking of golden-motors who sell grin products, not nearly as good to deal with.
Do a quick search on Kijiji for ‘Lithium ion 18650 powerbricks 30 p 3s’ you will find the guy. I have no connection to him, I just feel that’s a fair price compared to finding a bargain and being shafted for delivery.

Chris456345234 said:
Questions:
1# Is lunacycle generally respected for good support, warranty and actually selling genuine panasonic batteries as advertised? This seems like decent deals but there website is janky, making me nervous.

1.) I have put about 2500 miles on a Luna 52v 11.5AH shark pack and it has performed flawlessly so far. I live in Florida so I rode in the driving rain many times this past summer. I have the Luna Mini charger that can charge to 80%, which I do most of the time. My first charger died after two months, so Luna sent me a second one for free, which has worked for 6 months so far. Customer service was quick to reply to my issue with the charger. I have not opened the battery so I cannot tell you if the cells are Panasonic as I ordered. That said, I have no reason to doubt they are.
2.) My original chinese kit had anderson connectors which worked fine. When I got my Luna battery I took the connectors off and just hard-wired the battery cradle to the system. Lots of people recommend XT90s as well.

Back