houston, we have puffing. this is a bad battery, correct?

Use gloves to put it in a bag and drop it off at a place that does battery recycling if it smells sickly sweet like cherries from a jar.

Personally, I'd open it up and and see if I could depuff the cells inside. I've depuffed many a lipo pack. Resealed and used for years longer. Over a year ago, I used some 5 year old depuffed lipo packs to replace the sla batteries in one of my ups's. Still working like a champ today.
APC : 001,045,1039
DATE : 2017-12-30 14:27:05 -0600
HOSTNAME : mythfe0
VERSION : 3.14.12 (29 March 2014) debian
UPSNAME : Conext
CABLE : USB Cable
DRIVER : USB UPS Driver
UPSMODE : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: 2017-12-30 00:55:55 -0600
MODEL : Conext CNB750
LINEV : 121.0 Volts
LOADPCT : 9.0 Percent
BCHARGE : 100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT : 49.4 Minutes
MBATTCHG : -1 Percent
MINTIMEL : -1 Minutes
MAXTIME : 0 Seconds
OUTPUTV : 120.0 Volts
SENSE : Medium
DWAKE : 0 Seconds
DSHUTD : 0 Seconds
LOTRANS : 96.0 Volts
HITRANS : 136.0 Volts
RETPCT : 0.0 Percent
ITEMP : 29.2 C
ALARMDEL : 30 Seconds
BATTV : 27.9 Volts
LINEFREQ : 60.0 Hz
LASTXFER : Low line voltage
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT : 0 Seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
SELFTEST : NO
STESTI : None
STATFLAG : 0x05000008
MANDATE : 2003-10-13
SERIALNO : QC0342230498
BATTDATE : 2016-07-20
NOMOUTV : 120 Volts
NOMINV : 120 Volts
NOMBATTV : 24.0 Volts
NOMPOWER : 440 Watts
FIRMWARE : 811.r1b.D USB FW:r1
END APC : 2017-12-30 14:27:07 -0600

Just get rid of it. No sense putting your nuts near basically a small bomb. I love some action while driving but not that kind of action...

Looks like 24V, since its Lithium, perhaps it's 7S?

If you decide you'd like to discharge it, certainly do it outside. Use two 12V car filament bulbs in series, or a 120V / 40W lightbulb. Put it on concrete in a place where it will not hurt anything if it does go up in flames (or in an old steel barbecue?). Discharge it until there is no more light coming from the bulbs, then perhaps put it in a 5-gallon bucket overnight, covered with saltwater.

Look up some youtubes of "lipo fire" to see what the worst case scenario looks like.

I didn't see in this thread where it was mentioned that this is a LiFePO4 chemistry battery. That may temper some of the worries about the danger of spontaneous combustion, I think...

I remember seeing somewhere that a fully discharged LiFePO4 battery was acceptable to dispose of in the trash, but that was some years ago, so...

I also think discharging through the charge wires bypasses the LVC and would allow a full discharge, but again not sure...

Bad voltmeter?

Sometimes you can get what amounts to a small battery formed when the probe tip touches a dissimilar metal and there is electrolyte present. If you press the probe tip hard, this couldn't happen.

It will be safe enough to chuck when the LVC shuts it off. Best taken to a landfill, and put in the recycle part of it. Your local one, like a county place, surely has a place to put your old lead battery. Take it there.

Any DC motor can discharge it. I like to put my old batteries on my lawnmower to discharge them fully before disposal.

wesnewell said:
Personally, I'd open it up and and see if I could depuff the cells inside. I've depuffed many a lipo pack. Resealed and used for years longer. Over a year ago, I used some 5 year old depuffed lipo packs to replace the sla batteries in one of my ups's. Still working like a champ today.

A couple of days ago i depuffed two of these cells. A month ago they were used for testing a newly arrived power bank PCB, which had applied 5-6V to them and they had puffed immediately. The voltage was 0.01V on one and 1.07V on the second. After resting a month (or more) i recovered them using Miboxer C4-12 charger. Now they are looking just like new ones and the capacity is fully recovered. They show the same results under 1A discharge rate as when they were new.

augidog said:
this thing will just not die. after it started shutting off with the 5W light bulb, i started using my RC Watts meter by itself, a .2W draw. whenever i check on it, it's shut down, i've never caught at what voltage. i reconnect the meter, and it's bounced back to 24.4V.

that means there is a BMS inside triggering low voltage. rip apart the top.

Back