trickle charging lithium

its said that trickle charging is not only bad for cells but even dangerous but what exactly would trickle charging be? When I bulk charge with a meanwell or some other constant voltage source and the pack is getting close to the supply voltage the amps going to the battery will go way down to a trickle, but is this trickle charging? what if I were to set it to 4.2 or 4.1 per cell? Can I have the battery sitting on the 4.1 voltage all day?

a few threads with info
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=+trickle+charg*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Hummina Shadeeba said:
its said that trickle charging is not only bad for cells but even dangerous but what exactly would trickle charging be? When I bulk charge with a meanwell or some other constant voltage source and the pack is getting close to the supply voltage the amps going to the battery will go way down to a trickle, but is this trickle charging? what if I were to set it to 4.2 or 4.1 per cell? Can I have the battery sitting on the 4.1 voltage all day?

If you leave the cells at 4.1v all day, it does not hurt them. Whether the charger is turned on or not doesn't change what's happening inside the battery. I don't consider this trickle charging.

Trickle charging was used on NiCd in the old days and was a constant current charger, which would be bad for a lithium battery as it would try to push some current regardless of the cell voltage.

thanks guys for the info and links above, there's a good one. The cells at 4.2 either on the charger or not makes no difference. makes sense.

Back