Amp draw on AGM 16ah = to SLA 56ah battery

Quinc

1 kW
Looking at this battery sizing calculator it says to run 400amps for 30 seconds I need a 56ah "Flooded" battery. But only a 16ah AGM battery. Is this correct? Anyone have any experience running AGM batteries with high amps?

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools/calculator-sizing-a-battery-to-a-load.html

That calculator shows for 400amps for 30 seconds you need:
-56ah Flooded/SLA battery
-22ah GEL Battery
-16ah AGM Battery

It would depend a lot more on what type of plates in the battery, vs gel, flood, or agm.

IMO, that calculator is crap, since it does not take any account of the thickness of the plates. For a starter, very very thin plates give a huge amps for 30 seconds, but put it in an EV and you kill it quickly with deep discharges.

Thick plate type battery for an EV, can handle deeper discharge, but sags like hell under large amps.

I would guess, that the data used for the calculator compares apples to oranges, the 16 ah one being a starter battery, the others not.

There are benefits to the AGM of course, but I doubt that is the only difference in this particular case.

dogman dan said:
It would depend a lot more on what type of plates in the battery, vs gel, flood, or agm.

IMO, that calculator is crap, since it does not take any account of the thickness of the plates. For a starter, very very thin plates give a huge amps for 30 seconds, but put it in an EV and you kill it quickly with deep discharges.

Thick plate type battery for an EV, can handle deeper discharge, but sags like hell under large amps.

I would guess, that the data used for the calculator compares apples to oranges, the 16 ah one being a starter battery, the others not.

There are benefits to the AGM of course, but I doubt that is the only difference in this particular case.

I was not aware of the effects of different plate sizes.

iu

Back