2018 - Best weight/safety trade-off.

Hi,

To your knowledge, today, what is the best weight/safety trade-off technology for bicycle batteries equipped with a 250W motor :?:

Safety is my primary concern, but weight is the 2nd most important criterion to keep the bike very light.

Li-ion, or LiFePo4 in prismatic, or what, and which brand to use :?: :!:

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

To run a bike that low power, you should be able to stand the weight of lifepo4, to get the safety of that chemistry.

As a rule of thumb, any battery under 10 pounds is easy to carry in the WORST place to do it, a rear rack. It just does not weigh enough to greatly affect the handling of the bike.

36v 10 ah should be less than 8 pounds, even in lifepo4. Pingbattery.

Well, you said safety is important. here is what 18650s made my house look like last spring. P2110075.JPG

My experience is NOT typical. But just saying, I ran lifepo4 for 5 years and never had the ping battery do this.

By now, a noticeable number of us here at ES have had a fire with the 18650 cells, of one or the other chemistries that were being called "safe as lifepo4"

The hoverboards alone prove that is not exactly true.

If 4 pounds makes that big a difference to you, then choose the 18650's. Waaaay lighter, Waaaay smaller. But I'm saying that if you only need 10 ah, I personally cannot tell much difference carrying 4 pounds, or 8 pounds of battery in the worst place, the rear rack.

Put 15 pounds there, and hell yeah its affecting the bike ride. But 8 does not, IMO.

Keep the lithium manganese out of the house, and it can't burn it down. Simple fix really.
But if you live in apartments, get the ping lifepo4.

Back