Motorcycle starter battery

prestonb464

1 µW
I am embarking on building my first battery. It will be used as a replacement for the battery in an ICE motorcycle. I am fairly comfortable with basic battery setup - a123s in a 4s1p configuration - it's a dirtbike so has very little electrical accessories - headlight, rear / brake light, electronic speedo / odometer (even the headlight is only 35w). The OEM LA battery is rated to 130 cca, so the 120 amps 10 second burst rating of the a123 26650s should be fine.

3 questions;
1) I have 0.15 nickel strips for battery connections. I have read around and noted that these are rated to around 5 amps each. This I assume is continuous - how should I scale for burst applications? Should I scale for 120 amps (i.e. 24 strips / 8 per connection) or something else?
2) For the main battery connections I will be using 6awg extra flexible welding cable - would I be better to use this as connectors between cells also?
3) I will be soldering all together (have a 100w iron) - the soldering of a single tab to the cell terminals I am fine with. However are there any good resources showing how to solder stacks of nickel strips - do I solder just the ends? The whole length of each tab? What's best practice for soldering stacks of nickel tabs?

The post says he's using 26650s, so probably not. ;)

to the OP, regarding connecting stacks of strips in packs, I know there are some posts about it in some of the various threads on 18650 pack building. Sorry I don't have a link; I don't remember which specific threads it's in.

But...you might consider what the heat of teh current you're looking at will be, and if it's enough to damage the soldered connections over time (or allow the solder to flow places you don't want it).

1p ? Maybe 2p or ? A123 are great batteries and are a great choice for a 12 volt starter system as 4p. Bms ? Is this a road bike dirt bike scrambler ? Buy the cells with pre spot welded nickel strips to solder to . Is better than soldering and heating up the cell. A wet sponge will help cool down after solder.

It drives me nuts that lithium motorcycle starting batteries are just overpriced lipo. I wish a company would develop a bms for them. They really should have a charger built into them as motorcycles have different charging voltages and it's usually not the right voltage for 3s or 4s.

I agree, I am still using the old SLA battery on my Motorcycle because of those reasons.
It would be nice to have the Motorcycle Crank up much faster on each cold start.

maydaverave said:
It drives me nuts that lithium motorcycle starting batteries are just overpriced lipo. I wish a company would develop a bms for them. They really should have a charger built into them as motorcycles have different charging voltages and it's usually not the right voltage for 3s or 4s.

Back