Need HELP with battery pack design for a EVG LEE IACOCCA e-bike

Greg555

1 mW

So trying to revive this classic e-bike.

I got 100 decent tested cells around 2400 mah

because of the charger I have I'm thinking 2 packs of 5s-10p (I can charge 4x up to 6s at once)

space-wise in the bike I can fit 2 packs that are 5 high 10 long

Do I go this route or can I incorporate the fuse wires somehow?

Also how can I monitor the cell voltage without spending too much money?

Thanks for your suggestions

Greg
Chicago

Attachments

• 5s10p_18v_battery_pack_with_lg_mj1_18650_battery_cu_iso.jpeg
    5s10p_18v_battery_pack_with_lg_mj1_18650_battery_cu_iso.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 554
You can use a BMS or just put a set of sense wires and get a sell monitor for $10. It's great that you have 10p as you can use it as a 18 or maybe a 20 amp hour battery. So 10s ? Get all parallel strings to the same voltage manually before BMS . If no BMS you will be the BMS to monitor high voltage cutoff low voltage cutoff and cell balancing. I do it because I have a 20 amp power pack I've done for five and a half years 1121 charge cycles and still going. I bulk charge and monitor I do have an RC charger that charges through the sense wires but is never needed

A bms should match the cells ability to deliver amps and also match the controllers demands. I think the original motor on a Lee Iacocca was a brush motor we now have brushless motors that are much more efficient. Do you have a spot welder for the battery ? Do you know the amp demands of the controller it'll be easy to find out someone will chime in soon.

This could help
Just finished a DIY lithium battery book mlt34
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=87300&hilit=Diy+lithium+battery+book

Would this one work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5S-15A-Li-ion-Lithium-Battery-18650-PCB-BMS-Charger-Protection-Board-18-5V-Cell/282832385693?epid=7014229048&hash=item41da1fb69d:g:VTAAAOSwevdZ9~DL

Back