Watt Meter/Power Analyser with peak hold

Headrc

100 W
I am searching for a watt meter/power analyser with a peak hold function so I can see what the maximum current draw is under load....as well as all of the usual criteria of watts used and voltage that we like to monitor. This would be used in an R/C environment and so far all the meters I find give you that info ...but not with a peak hold so you can put everything into the real world application and actually see what the amp draw was under load. Any ideas on this would be appreciated. Thanks, RH

Cycle Analyst (any version, even really old used ones) remembers the max amps and minimum volts, etc.

Frustratingly there's no peak watts reading directly--you calculate it from Vmin * Amax (because those frequently occur at the same point).

There's also a serial output on at least the V3.x units so you can even log it all in realtime with an MCU of some type (arduino, Cycle Analogger, serial input into a laptop, etc).

Thanks on that suggestion. I will look at that. There is another one I found as well used in the R/C community. The Eagletree Elogger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NU9JQDA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ARES0QSP6BXPT&psc=1

The basic $25 ,Turnigy "precision wattmeter" gives Max amps, Max volts, Min volts, etc...and retains those readings until disconnected.
I havnt checked if its currently available.
But if you are after full time data logging,....thats something else.

So it holds the peak until another peak is hit or until battery power is taken away? That is all I need at this time ...but I am getting conflicting input regarding this.

It wouldnt be the first time a manufacturer changed the "firmware" and altered the features on a product. :wink:
..but my Turnigy wattmeter definitely holds "Max amps" max volts, min volts, mAhrs, Whrs, ..and a few other things until the power is disconnected.
https://youtu.be/Tt2quF5JoiA
[youtube]Tt2quF5JoiA[/youtube]

Thanks ...actually I watched that video last night! :D So it looks like this will answer my immediate needs ....I was starting to look at building one with an arduino etc. but if this does what I need ...on to the next project! That is a Turnigy?

I guess I didn't really understand what you meant, because all of the wattmeters I've seen so far, even the cheap ones, retain Vmin and Amax and such until power is removed. The CA retains these until you manually clear them out, even if power is removed.

Some of the others have an aux-power port that you can put a secondary battery on to hold data even when the main power is removed.

Both what the CA does and the aux-power input are very valuable if you have a battery with a BMS that shuts power off when it runs out of juice, which would otherwise lose all the data.

Nods on that ...and a temporary hold of the information would be OK for me at this time. Basically, it is for an R/C application and I want to see the max current draw during use under load. Obviously I cannot see this in current use because I will not be riding on the device with it being radio controlled. So, if the information I have received here is current, holding the peak current draw until battery power is turned off could work for me. Data logging in general would be nice though that is for sure.

Back