BMSless limn battery and hobby charger

medusa569

100 W
Using the original battery cells from EZee the cells seem to be LIMN. Since trouble when the battery kept shutting down for unknown reason I am trying using my battery BMSless. I tried for the first time to use a hobby charger ( Reaktor 1000w 30A) and a psu as power source. The psu is putting out 12.3 v. I powered on both appliances and after about 2 minutes I turned off the charger. It didn't seem to be acting like it did before during a trial run when first got it. This was my first time hooking up a battery to it...to be safe i started by charging only one pack of 20V I didn't get to even start programming it for charge before I noticed an acrid odor and shut it off. It was connected via a parallel charging board. After opening up the Reaktor I noticed a burned resistor..fried crisp critters but the small seemed to be coming from the coil area.
Any ideas of what could have fried the resistor and really heat up the coil ? I'm a first timer with this venue. I'm also trying to get a parts list for this item.....I don't know if I should count on the manufacturer for this. They didn't seem to know anything about the product when I "chatted" today. Reaktor transistor small.JPG Reaktor coil small.JPG

Teh resistor is probably a balancing resistor. the thing that usually fries those is shorts between cell groups creating too high a voltage across them (and thus too high a current).

So if the balance connector you're using isn't the original one (if it's something you've added) you might want to check its' wiring.

The most likely original problem the pack had would be low or bad cells causing the BMS to shutdown to protect the pack; if one is totally dead it could effectively be a short between two as far as your charger is concerned. Or it could even have reversed in voltage once enough current dischargd thru it if it was already low or zero itself, vs the rest of the pack.

Back