Ryobi Mosfet Burned. Worth Replacing?

Sunder

10 MW
Hi All,

Finally took apart a broken Ryobi One+ battery. It burned out while I was using a circular saw to cut through some treated pine (Length ways - 4m long).

The only "Obvious" damage, is this burned Mosfet

20180310_163956.jpg

Does anyone thing it's worth the effort to replace? Or is it likely to have taken out another part with it as it went?

The other alternative is for me to fit an unprotected high C-Rate Hobbyking lipo in the casing, and just take it out every few months to rebalance it.

Shouldn't hurt to try, though there's always the chance the gate drive circuit was taken out as the FET blew (common enough failure mode).

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, except that if it's less than a 50/50 chance I'll get a working battery out of it (2 years old and sagging at that), then I don't want to invest the time, I'd rather buy a fresh one.

I never found a decent HK LiPo that would fit (all 1300mAh or smaller - 2200mAhs were less than 5mm too big on one axis).

Inside the Ryobi original battery, there's a frame that holds 5S2P 18650s. I'm tempted to fit 10S1P of LTO 18650s into it. Will only get 1300mAh into it, but it would be great for small jobs that need a lot of power and rapid charging. I can get a 15A charger, and have it recharged in 5 minutes or so. 24v @ 19.5A continuous.

Back