12s charger or supply 50.4v cc/cv

xiteamxi

100 mW
what options are out there for charging 12s ? I'm sure some one has a nice setup.
I have been separating the packs to charge and its getting old I have a 12s bms board but don't see many (good) options for a portable power supply (cc/cv). I've seen the modified meanwell supplys but the model with the modifiable r33 resistor seems to be hard to find now. looking for something 5-15a in a smaller package if it exists. any input or pictures of anyone using a 12s set up would be helpful.

I tried the BMSBattery chargers, but lost a few to poor quality.

Have installed genuine Meanwell (HLGs, I think,the adjustable water proof ones) and they have riden with me to hell and back. Try this one : HLG-600H-54

I think that may solve my question, yours has adjustable current and voltage or just voltage? I had no idea they made cc/cv supply's ..

They are pretty Rock Solid but there are clones out there. Plus put a set of 6s sense wires on it for 6s cell monitoring human backup bms. Don't always trust the machine. Live long and prosper.

by any chance do you know if the 48v one has enough upward adjustment to hit 50.4 or should I use the 54v and adjust it down?

I know the CLG-150-48A (150W) will go to 56V as that is what I am considering on my 12S build. Looks like the HLG-320H-48A goes to 52V?

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/260/HLG-320H-spec-226092.pdf

I wouldn't guarantee that every one of them will do it, but all four of the HLG-600H-54A that I have go up to a hair under 58v.

I have both the HLG-320-48A and the HLG-320-54A. I use the 48A for 12S so I can do a storage charge of 3.90V/cell and I use the 54A for my 14S packs so I can get my top charge of 57 Volts.
The key to making this work is to use a Battery Medic, one for ea. brick, in case one needs to bring the whole pack down.
There are a lot of crappy Battery Medic clones, this is the good one;
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/150W-3-in-1-RC-2s-6s-Lipo-Li-Fe-Battery-Balancer-LCD-Voltage-Meter-Tester/716017404.html
100_0016.JPG
100_0064.JPG

You can always use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LGTTRN

with the higher voltage supply to step it down to exactly what you want.

I just ordered one of these to try out but it only goes to 50v. Has a real nice display though:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0744BT79M

On that same page they have a boost/buck converter but it will only go to 32v.

I seem to be collecting all kinds of this crap and have so far had decent luck with DROK even though much of their stuff is simply re-brands of other Chinese clones. I have 4 of these now https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M5CWR2P that I am using to monitor charger power supplies. They are nice in that the display can be wireless and switch connection between multiple units. Also when the display is wired it operates over RS485 you can wire one display to multiple base units and switch between them with a few button presses. Actually, the wireless mode is likely RS485 at the heart as well. One of these days I want to see if I can decode the RS485 messages and build a desktop app and/or Android one to operate over bluetooth.

I've tried similar boards step up / step down ect most ended up being junk, and you still need to buy a power supply. I have one of the hlg supplys on the way hopefully it does the trick, just based on the size/weight/price it looks like it will be ideal.

I'm pretty sure you will be happy with your purchase if you went genuine. As you can see in my signature, I really accept the old adage "the poor pay twice". The problem with cheap stuff in electronics is that not only can it fail, it can take other stuff with it. I had a cheap BMS destroy a pack because the shunt resistor kept burning power even when the cell was below 4.2v

Before I went from eBike to eMotorbike, I put in some efforts to making things set and forget as well as dependable. It was my only way to work and I needed it 100% reliable. Swapped BMSBattery BMS to SuPower, Zippy swapped for Multistar, fitted it properly inside a case and permanently mounted it on the rear rack and put genuine XT90 connectors (instead of cheap Anderson PPs which were great for the first 100 disconnects or so, but would get loose after that.), and made an extension lead for the one BMSBattery charger that hasn't died yet, and it went strong for ages before I swapped.

eMotorcycle is built to the same standard, except the HLGs are bolted to the frame of the motorcycle, so has ro be waterproof and vibration/shock resistant.

Sorry I couldn't reply to some of your earlier questions before you bought. Hope it works out well for you.

yes I got a genuine meanwell I agree any $ you think your saving by cheap clones will be more then likely be paid for in headache later. I have a bms board that I'm happy with so far and works well when using a bench power supply to charge, just needed to find this more portable solution. normally I use the castle connectors but may try bullet connectors or the XT as the castle ones are a pain to unplug (good in some cases I guess)

Back