Tesla Model 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
markz said:
Saw a Tesla Model X I think it was, Gull-Wing rear doors. Very sleak!
Is that a new model or has it been out for awhile?

One rolled past me in Wales uk all I could hear was the tyres I also had two hydrogen mirai prius look alikes pass me so there incentive to some to use these cars but it's still less than 0.1% using them at the moment hybrids and nisdan leafs have been used by the local taxi firms for city use.

more model 3 spec details becoming available from Teslas EPA certification docs..
* 80.5 kWhr, 350 v, 230Ah, battery pack ( long range pack)
* 258 Hp , 3 ph, Permanent Magnet drive motor. ( different to S and X Induction motors)
* regen braking on the front wheels as well as the rear... :shock: ???
One of the Test reports suggest a range driven of 495 miles, and a recharge energy of 89kWh ..?
source..
https://electrek.co/2017/08/07/tesla-model-3-new-details-revealed/

Apparently, during a financial conference on Monday ( Junk bond issue) , Musk stated the M3 packs were infact 50 kWh , and 75 kWh,...but didnt clarify if this was their "working" capacity or their "gross" capacity .
I cannot find any direct report of that conference. :?

Hillhater said:
Apparently, during a financial conference on Monday ( Junk bond issue) , Musk stated the M3 packs were infact 50 kWh , and 75 kWh,...but didnt clarify if this was their "working" capacity or their "gross" capacity .
I cannot find any direct report of that conference. :?

That would be using 95% state of charge that's not going to be to good for a cells health in the long run the 21700 will need to be robust to put up with that type of cycling, I would try not to use the full range and keep it around the sweet spot unless I planned a long distance run.

Use of permanent magnet motors is very intriguing. It could be a typo on the part of the EPA, but it could be a big shift. Technically it's not a Tesla motor then (more like a Westinghouse? ;) )

Permanent magnet materials are sketchy, and Tesla is trying to avoid unethical / unsustainable procurement. Maybe it is set up for regen braking on all wheels? You can achieve that with induction rotors, but PM would be more efficient.

Discussion in other threads suggest the PM motor is a logical move to get better efficiency ( range), but it has me beat... as i was of the understanding induction motors were the future for EVs ? :? :?
At least we seem to have a better understanding of the new packs and cells.. 4416 cells, 21700 format, 5.0 Ahr

Now we have at least final confirmation about technologies used in TM3 battery pack. https://electrek.co/2017/08/24/tesla-model-3-exclusive-battery-pack-architecture/

Either they are "rating" the packs conservatively at 50kWh and 74kWh, (possibly a working capacity ?).
.... Or they are suggesting the 21700 cell is only 4.4 Ah capacity ?
Quite different to the data on the EpA documents Tesla submitted which indicated 5.0Ah cell capacity ?

Hillhater said:
Either they are "rating" the packs conservatively at 50kWh and 74kWh, (possibly a working capacity ?).
.... Or they are suggesting the 21700 cell is only 4.4 Ah capacity ?
Quite different to the data on the EpA documents Tesla submitted which indicated 5.0Ah cell capacity ?
I bet its advertised VS working

I think that Tesla cells are really 5Ah with with the appropriate amount of energy. For example BMZ company also announced that they have 5Ah cells in serial production so anything less will be disappointment. It seems to me that Tesla really would like to stop using battery energy as vehicle marking, especially with low-cost TM3. This confirms that Tesla has not yet listed the battery energy as an official parameter. Only "around" type expressions are available.

Pajda said:
I think that Tesla cells are really 5Ah with with the appropriate amount of energy. For example BMZ company also announced that they have 5Ah cells in serial production so anything less will be disappointment. It seems to me that Tesla really would like to stop using battery energy as vehicle marking, especially with low-cost TM3. This confirms that Tesla has not yet listed the battery energy as an official parameter. Only "around" type expressions are available.
I agree but they are likely only using 4.4ah out of the cells even though they might be able to do 5ah. This does two things makes them last longer and makes it seem like there is no degradation for a very long time.

One other thing to point out is even if a cell is rated for 5ah you might not ever be able to get 5ah out of it in an EV. The reason for this is most cell companies use what ever test data they can to state the higher ah they can for their cells. Meaning they might have cycled them at 1/100 C to get 5ah out of the cells and that becomes the advertised energy in the cell even though at 1C you can only get ~ 4.xx ah out of it.

Arlo1 said:
I agree but they are likely only using 4.4ah out of the cells even though they might be able to do 5ah. This does two things makes them last longer and makes it seem like there is no degradation for a very long time.

One other thing to point out is even if a cell is rated for 5ah you might not ever be able to get 5ah out of it in an EV. The reason for this is most cell companies use what ever test data they can to state the higher ah they can for their cells. Meaning they might have cycled them at 1/100 C to get 5ah out of the cells and that becomes the advertised energy in the cell even though at 1C you can only get ~ 4.xx ah out of it.

You're absolutely right, but.. :D The same principle has been used in Model S/X, where the brick protection is set to 3V per cell and so you cannot use last ca 5% of capacity (down to 2,5V). Also the nominal capacity is usually measured under C/5 or 0,2C discharge. The gain of going to C/10 or lower is below units of percent. But there is still significant gain in usable energy when discharging under very low C-rate.

For battery life is most important average DoD. And this value will be significantly higher in this smaller battery. In fact this "50kWh" will be the smallest battery used by Tesla so I do not even wonder that they probably set brick protection to ca 12% of capacity which is far more than in MS/MX batteries.

Hmmm ? ....A bit off the start up schedule !...
....The electric-car maker said Monday that it produced 260 Model 3 sedans and delivered 220 of the cars in the third quarter, after holding a launch event for the car at the end of July that included the delivery of the first few cars to employees. Chief Executive Elon Musk has said that he expected Tesla TSLA, +0.91% to produce 100 Model 3 cars in August and ramp up to 1,500 in September, with plans to produce 5,000 Model 3 cars a week by the end of the year.

And back in July (4th)..
In a series of tweets overnight, Musk announced details about the Model 3’s production timing. The CEO began by saying, “Model 3 passed all regulatory requirements for production two weeks ahead of schedule. Expecting to complete SN1 on Friday [July 7, US time].”

Musk went on to state, “Handover party for first 30 customer Model 3’s on the 28th! Production grows exponentially, so Aug should be 100 cars and Sept above 1500.”

Lastly, the outspoken Tesla chief said it “looks like we can reach 20,000 Model 3 cars per month in Dec”.

I just got back from the Tesla factory. Did a tour last week there. Pretty interesting. Seems like they were banging away on hundreds of vehicles. I was able to see most parts to the model 3, but didn't see any close to being completed. They are doing them in a separate part of the factory. The tour guide was hush on model 3 information, especially since their quarterly report was a few days away. I've never seen what Detroit does, but seems like the got there stuff in order. Way clean facility with tons of robots. Not a ton for humans to do, mostly route cabling.
I was hoping to see a lot full of the completed Model 3s, but only caught one on my way out of the parking lot. He was driving in, so I chased him down and got some pictures. I'd hate to own of them right now. Five people huddled around the car taking pictures! I tried to be kind enough to let him get out and inside work before I started gawking. Through the weekend I saw three cars. Tried to chase one down at night, but couldn't keep up in traffic. That's 1.5% of the cars in existence. Tesla will get there on production soon enough. Personally, I would rather have a used X or S anyway. They are available right now, no waiting. The car will be a game changer though. Look at all the car manufacturers announcing electric vehicles trying to catch up.
BTW, the whole Bay area is a bunch of Tesla homers. I jokingly kept pointing out Tesla's, after a half an hour the joke was old. I think the issue with Tesla will be that there aren't enough models to separate your car from everyone else's car. People want to be different and stand out. Granted I saw hundreds of 911 turbos there, where I see one or two in Utah. Even those owners, have issues being unique. I'd probably buy a Ford F-150 if I lived there, just to be different, that's just me though.
I find it really interesting that the only physical difference between a 160k Tesla and a $60k one is a few numbers on the bumper. The 60kwh version is one where some owners rip that 60 off and just leave it blank, at least that what I think the car is, but who knows. I think people would be proud of the fact they have P100D on their car and not take off theirs. That P100D signifies they spent huge money on their car and it is much faster than standard. Porsche owners have been known to change their vehicle numbers to have a Carrera become a 4 or 4s. Most vehicles however have some defining characteristic that makes that car stand out. Conspicuous consumption is still a thing for people. How has Tesla kept everyone so humble?

Attachments

• model3resize.jpg
    model3resize.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,882
Model 3 production problems continue...
Last month, Tesla announced that it delivered only 220 Model 3 vehicles and produced 260 units during the third quarter.
It has now been confirmed by Tesla in their shareholder’s letter:

“To date, our primary production constraint has been in the battery module assembly line at Gigafactory 1, where cells are packaged into modules. Four modules are packaged into an aluminum case to form a Model 3 battery pack. The combined complexity of module design and its automated manufacturing process has taken this line longer to ramp than expected. The biggest challenge is that the first two zones of a four zone process, key elements of which were done by manufacturing systems suppliers, had to be taken over and significantly redesigned by Tesla. We have redirected our best engineering talent to fine-tune the automated processes and related robotic programming, and we are confident that throughput will increase substantially in upcoming weeks and ultimately be capable of production rates significantly greater than the original specification.”

Based on its current understanding of the bottlenecks, Tesla updated its expected production ramp timeline:

“Based on what we know now, we currently expect to achieve a production rate of 5,000 Model 3 vehicles per week by late Q1 2018, recognizing that our production growth rate is like a stepped exponential, so there can be large forward jumps from one week to the next. We will provide an update when we announce Q4 production and delivery numbers in the first few days of January. With respect to the timing for producing 10,000 units per week, it has always been our intention to implement that capacity addition after we have achieved a 5,000 per week run rate.”

It

Not where you want to be, pulling key parts of the job from poor suppliers to go into re-design before you even get rolling. Sounds like incredibly bad purchasing management or something possibly more malicious. That is if we can believe the story line which sounds like cycle times were much longer then promised. Not sure that would or should be a surprise. Most likely, they were getting into rework -quality issues. No one ever wants to talk about that. :oops:

Tesla should downsize and focus on luxury electric cars and self driving technology only. They are losing too much money trying to go big. Back in 2010 nobody forecasted gas prices to be this low. Its hurt the entire EV industry.

lester12483 said:
Tesla should downsize and focus on luxury electric cars and self driving technology only. They are losing too much money trying to go big. Back in 2010 nobody forecasted gas prices to be this low. Its hurt the entire EV industry.

Where do you get your data lmfao... Last month was the biggest EV sales month of ALL time!!! EV sales are on a continuous accelerated rise! The Model 3 is a huge money maker for Tesla they are Getting a little over 1000 cars out a week now. They have pushed back their production ramp but they are still doing well with it.

Henry ford made the model T it sold so well that it made sense for gas stations as there was large profit to be had, as the price of chargers drop and electrics cars evolve it will become more mainstream and the tech will evolve just like ice cars at the moment we are seeing the early adopters there's always a price to pay for being first and it's that tesla cars don't really have great build quality compared to equivalent ice oem and there's limited charge points over time all this will change with more manufacturers making evs company's will step in to offer a easy charge solution and make £££££££$$$$$$$$$€€€€€€€.

lester12483 said:
You do realize that Tesla has never made a profit and are $4.5 billion dollars in debt? I love their cars, but how do you stay in business if you never make a profit?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckj...-debt-rating-could-go-farther-into-the-ditch/

I remember lots of people, including me, saying exactly the same thing about Amazon. Amazon didn't show a profit for quite a long time, for the same reasons Tesla isn't showing a profit now. They were in the buildout phase of the plan.

Tesla is doing much more important things for all of us than Amazon did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back