Chevron wins OK for world's largest solar plant

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
The proposed $6 billion-plus Blythe, California plant...would generate up to 1,000 megawatts of energy daily.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE68E5GV20100915

That's slightly < 1/2 the capacity at Diablo Canyon (2,240 MW). That could really help reserve hydro power for peak needs and offset spring run-offs for salmon.

I say git 'er done 'n build 'nother! KF

Holy smokestack, that's impressive. More please, and thanks.

BTW, i lived about 10 miles from Diablo Canyon. No problems ever occurred with that plant. Nobody in the area was particularly freaked out about it either. Don't get me wrong, nukes can get really, really nasty if they blow.. but.. we had cheap energy and no significant pollution problems where i lived. Go figure.

I don't recall what the size is going to be, but a honking big one is going in near El Paso. Smaller than the CA one though. Mirror thermal deal. Looks like a go, the county is getting ready to pave a road out to the site, so in this economy that looks like it's ON. :mrgreen:

There is an interesting interactive diagram at the bottom of this article that displays the locations where applications have been filed for proposed Solar projects (cell or thermal) in the shared desert-belt region of CA-NV-AZ.

Here comes the sun: White House to go solar

I just thought it was interesting that if you count up the number of homes - at what point does it reach equilibrium for the number of residences in the region? Would the area become a key-exporter of solar power?

Just askin' KF

Back